When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IW371417

fosi

i all.. i want to buy a IW371417 rep with a fair/price movement! maybe the asia 7750 Valjoux with 29j!? with the mods that makes them run better and longer. i dont think i have the money for a gen movement!! ..like this one + dlc mod: http://www.perfect-hour.com/00iwpg10002-portuguese-chrono-ssle-whtblue-a7750-improved-p-5491.html

any ideas for a better choice?

i really dont know much! ive crawled some foruns the last couple of weeks, trying to pm some experts, but never got answered back. and this is my first post

does anyone knows some european e-store that sells good iwc reps with the mods?

any european watch geek that mods the reps?

and im actually from Porto, Portugal

If a genuine movement is not an option for you, you may just need to purchase the rep and have it sent out for an overhaul and graphite mod. I don't know of any dealers offering this service or option from the factory.

Maybe see if Domi can do the work? I'm certain he can. Or, save up and ask concepta to get a gen movement franken built :) Believe me, it's worth the money...

IMG_8090.jpg

IMG_8019.jpg

IMG_8015.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg

And a couple of pics of it's build in progress (thanks to Domi and concepta):

3714-2.jpg

3714-3.jpg

3714-1.jpg

3714-4.jpg

A few more mods to go before I can call this one done, but it's getting there...

Hi Fosi

I am also from Portugal and i am more a less in the same quest. Although i am looking more into IW371401 or IW371438.

From what i researched the most accessible movement is the asian 7750 29J. However this is usually a time bomb since they use seconds at 6 which forces the use of an extra wheel and therefore problems to the movement.

For the seller i guess that almost all are selling the same watch. I know that http://www.perfect-hour.com ships them from UK which is an advantage for us since i am quite afraid they will be retained in customs.

It would be nice if someone from portugal with more experience could say something about getting watches from outside europe.

Now i am also looking into other sellers trying to get a better deal... and i know some will ship them form europe if you ask but you will have to pay extra and wait longer for that.. not sure how much and how long though.

About the mods, the best is really to ask avitt if he is willing to DLC coat it. In principle this is reported to make the movement much smoother but i dont think many people waited long time to check for its stability... i guess time will tell but for a cheap options thats the best deal.

Needless to say that double AR coating from Chief (canada i guess) or k2222 (poland) does wonders to these beauties. A new crown would also be nice to take the stupid fish version.. i am still looking to whom is selling this.. couldnt find any yet but i guess it shouldn't be difficult to get one around.

hope it helps somehow and maybe someone that have modded several versions from different sellers can pronounce about the quality of the different replicas...

cheers

hugo Alves

Just to add to my previous post. If you need service or graphite treatment you have an excellent watchmaker (Domenico) in germany, so avoiding problems with customs.. not sure about the price but you can check it out on the post about him

now he can service the watches, performs graphite treatment to seconds at 6 movements, lume, etc...

it really nice to have someone in Europe to help us out.

Not sure how well does the graphite treatment compare with the DLC platting on these seconds at 6 watches? Anyone?

And of course ubiquitous is completely right the best would be to buy the original 79350 movement from concepta, but not everybody can afford to spend 550 euros just on the movement itself.. specially if you are into having several watches and are on a low budget. However, if you can, dont even think twice.. just go for it.

by the way, Ubiquitous.. thats a sexy looking watch and movement, congratulations...

cheers,

Hugo Alves

hi Hugo! glad to see that there are PT's here!! i actually know a few dealers here in Porto that sells automatic IWC's, but they dont know or dont tell the movement that their watches use. so!!! im kinda afraid of buying from them.

ill take a look at that http://www.precioustime-uk.com/ do you have any feedback on that dealer from someone here in portugal?

i think i can arrange a good double AR here in Porto, and im also trying to find someone that does DLC coats around here.

and ubiquitous! you are certainly shure, the gen iwc movement worths its money.. but im really low on budget!! dont know how much would it cost concepta to franken built one for me! and i also dont know where concepta is from! maybe outside europe? i dont want to send or buy the watches from outside europe, because of customs issues, like Hugo said before.

i already sent a pm to concepta, asking him how much would it cost me for him to franken built on with gen dials, gen buckle, etc. but i didnt received yet a response.

I really like the look of this watch but there is one thing which keeps me back from buying this beauty: the missing date. I know the date is always on my cellphone but still... Zeno Magellano looks similar with a date window - different "quality league" though...

zeno magellano its also a good choice! and its also inspired on portuguese seafarers! but im more into the IWC. both IW3714 and IW5001. (sad i got no money for the gen)

Edited by fosi

Fosi, Hugo,

I think the graphite treatment should work fine :) I do believe Domi can handle this, but you may want to see if a DLC option is available as well. If you can send just the movement plates to the U.S., check with Avitt to see if he can have them coated for you. I'm not sure if PVD has the same effect, but if so, there may even be some EU options there as well.

In my eyes, this watch is a gorgeous piece no matter which movement you have inside the case (well, maybe not the quartz movement ;) ); since the caseback is closed, the primary concern is that you have a reliable movement powering the watch. Gen movement or modified A7750 should do the trick :)

Best of luck...

//ubi

Just to be clear, I don't perform any modifications on these watches. (Like others, I have found that there is too much risk of damage, and the liability is too high.)

If anyone is capable of removing the plates themselves, I can have them DLC coated.

Other PVD coatings will not provide the same benefit...DLC is unique for its low-friction properties. (I based the idea on work that was done my Damasko, with their oil-free escapement, which found that DLC coated parts have a coefficient of friction which is nearly as low as an oiled jewel.)

For those who are really in concerned, the DLC treatment can also be combined with the graphite treatment. This is what I've done with my two Portos.

Please remember that the quality of the work is just as important as the materials used. Even graphite or DLC treated parts can fail, if they are not reassembled properly.

hi Hugo! glad to see that there are PT's here!! i actually know a few dealers here in Porto that sells automatic IWC's, but they dont know or dont tell the movement that their watches use. so!!! im kinda afraid of buying from them.

ill take a look at that http://www.precioustime-uk.com/ do you have any feedback on that dealer from someone here in portugal?

i think i can arrange a good double AR here in Porto, and im also trying to find someone that does DLC coats around here.

and ubiquitous! you are certainly shure, the gen iwc movement worths its money.. but im really low on budget!! dont know how much would it cost concepta to franken built one for me! and i also dont know where concepta is from! maybe outside europe? i dont want to send or buy the watches from outside europe, because of customs issues, like Hugo said before.

i already sent a pm to concepta, asking him how much would it cost me for him to franken built on with gen dials, gen buckle, etc. but i didnt received yet a response.

Hey! I

• 3 weeks later...

graphite treatment alone didn't do the trick for me. the dlc coating or combined with graphite will be a better option... but since the seconds output is transferred from 9 to 6 there can still be a problem despite of dlc and graphite, if the wheels on the modification plate get loose... they are "clipped" on by a little metal [censored]. not very good.

francisco did a great writeup in his section about this "improved" 29j version, which doesn't even have 29 jewels.

if dlc and graphite turn out to fail after a few month you spent the money for nothing. safe some money and buy tge gen movement.