When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Sourcing A Movement

rmcsherry

I'm trying to get hold of a Dubois-Depraz 4500 / 4900, which is based on an ETA 2892-A2. It has hours, minutes and seconds at 3, 6 and 9 with a 'big date' at the 12 position. I've checked the usual sources for movements, and can't find any - the only 'donor' watches I've found have been Corum, Gerald Genta and various other premium brands.

Are reworked movements like this available seperately, or can we only stick to base calibre ETA's etc?

Thanks for the repies. I had a look at watch trader, and at Angus's photo album - the only ones I could find were ETA 2893-A2 for a Tag.

Ubi, you say you can find movements with the DD fitted - I assumed it was a major movement overhaul to turn it into a DD 4500, does that mean I can source a module to add to / replace components from a standard ETA 2892-A2 movement? Thanks for the reply - I apologise if I'm a bit slow, I'm still learning when it comes to watches!!

I'm trying to get hold of a Dubois-Depraz 4500 / 4900, which is based on an ETA 2892-A2. It has hours, minutes and seconds at 3, 6 and 9 with a 'big date' at the 12 position. I've checked the usual sources for movements, and can't find any - the only 'donor' watches I've found have been Corum, Gerald Genta and various other premium brands.

Are reworked movements like this available seperately, or can we only stick to base calibre ETA's etc?

I've seen plenty of 2894-2's (2892's w/ DD chrono module aboard) on the 'bay and other places, but never one w/ the big date @ 12 also added. If you're thinking about dropping it into an existing rep case (it would make a sweet VC overseas chrono rep if you could make it work) keep in mind that the pushers and crown will not be aligned like a 7750 or venus copy I have an OEM muller chrono dial which fit's the venus 175 copy case perfectly but ultimately couldn't use a 2894 (which is what muller uses) because my smith said he would not be able to get everything lined up.

I've seen plenty of 2894-2's (2892's w/ DD chrono module aboard) on the 'bay and other places, but never one w/ the big date @ 12 also added. If you're thinking about dropping it into an existing rep case (it would make a sweet VC overseas chrono rep if you could make it work) keep in mind that the pushers and crown will not be aligned like a 7750 or venus copy I have an OEM muller chrono dial which fit's the venus 175 copy case perfectly but ultimately couldn't use a 2894 (which is what muller uses) because my smith said he would not be able to get everything lined up.

I've got a gen case with crown and pushers, gen strap - unfortunately I've only got aftermarket hands, and no crystals as of yet. It'll be an Ikepod Hemipode Grande Date, I'm taking my time and looking around because I don't want to spend too much on this project! I'll have a look into the 2894's and see what I dig up. Thanks for the advice.

I've got a gen case with crown and pushers, gen strap - unfortunately I've only got aftermarket hands, and no crystals as of yet. It'll be an Ikepod Hemipode Grande Date, I'm taking my time and looking around because I don't want to spend too much on this project! I'll have a look into the 2894's and see what I dig up. Thanks for the advice.

I wonder how many watches use that DD big date module--dubey and Schadelberand does, I know--but if you called around to dealers of those watches, maybe they can source the date module separately. If they can finding a low priced movement should be bo problem.

I have a Dubois Dépraz 2020 movement - would this be of use for your Project ?

If not - any Ideas of what to build with it ?

I don't think that one's got the date module, but thanks for the offer. I think it is the same as the Omega 3220, you could put it into an Omega Speedmaster?