When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

opinions wanted

mr mg

Hi team,

I'm keen to know what your opinions/advice would be about my latest arrival. I ordered an Omega Seamaster from one of the recommended dealers and it has arrived with some pretty minor QC issues, namely very minute scratch/smear on the inside wall of the face (under the crystal) and some inconsistency around the paint on the markers. The watch itself is a cheapie (e.g. circa $100). It's the SS seamaster with the blue hands & markers, with an "asian automatic" movement (whatever that is??). It is in every other sense an absolutely beautiful watch. It has the glass back, with the movement engraved with the correct markings, the bracelet moves freely, and the srew down crown feels reasonably steady etc. etc. It's amazing what you can buy for 100 bucks! It was my curiosity that led me to buy it in the first place, in order to see what could be bought for this money.

So my question is, does anyone think I should be contacting the dealer about these minor issues? What would you do? I think for the $$$ it's great and not worth the hassle. Before I found RWG, I would have been satisfied with this and just accepted it, but now I wonder... I am typically a grateful buyer and appreciate the dealings I've had with recommended dealers on here already, but the question remains??

Keen to hear your thoughts,

mg

Can you post pics mg??.. without sounding trite, it sounds like a very low end rep.. "but" contacting the dealer of the problems is not out of line ..IMHO..

Reps can be hit and miss.. but 100 usd is 100 usd.. i have found though that the grief that comes with bargains are not worth it in the long run.. for longevity of the movement, accuracy in the dial..

You are the customer.. and have the right to communicate with your dealer..if it does not measure up to the pics that made you pull the trigger then contact the dealer and let him/her know of your issues....

as you evolve in this hobby you will gravitate towards the more accurate pieces.. we've all been there..

I suggest you do what you feel is right.. without compromising yourself and thinking you have no "right" because of the price you paid..

Conversely.. you may ask about a return and an "upgrade".. but that is your call and most important.. your "money":victory:

AC/Lani

thanks Lani, appreciate your reply. I know the joy of a good rep (go through Joshua for the good ones, following your advice), but I wouldn't have bought this watch in preference to others, so I thought for the price it was worth a gamble (Pam is next on the list...) When I saw these cheapies, I thought I'd see what you get for those bucks? It is obviously as you say a low-grade, but overall, I'm so impressed with the quality. I've bought many crappy reps over the years, but this Ome is pretty sweet. I know it's stupid, but I have to save & justify (to my wife & myself) when I buy a gen, or a $300 rep, but if I buy 3 $100 reps, it seems more acceptable :whistling: Stupid I know. But I'm impatient!

I have tried and tried with both of our cameras to get some pics as you asked. Both cameras are pretty good quality -although automatics. So the common denominator is me :bangin: I'm going to have to read the photo tips on here so I can do my collection justice.

I have thought more overnight and decided that I'll let this one go through. The flaws are minor. I guess I should have asked a more open ended question, like what makes people send their watches back -e.g. what's good enough?

thanks again for your reply mate

mg

Mr mg..I send mine back for movement issues.. defects.. I've learned to take out the movement/dial.. so that relieves the burden of sending it back for crooked markers... or dust on the dial ..if I plan to swap a Eta 7750 in the watch.. no sense of me sending it back.. or if I decide "before" hand that it will be a much used watch and send it to Ziggy for servicing..

there are a lot of variables.. but Joshua is really good about repairing and servicing the defects.. and although I pay for the freight.. he always takes care of it later in some shape or form.. I'm sending 2 back now for repair.. not a big issue with either myself nor Josh :thumbsupsmileyanim: