When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Anyone Know For Sure If The New G Series 6497 Movement Has The Correct Cannon Pinion Height?

wan

I had heard that the new 6497 G series had the correct cannion pinion height but i am not sure........So if that is correct, you can just order a pam127G and you will not have the cannon pinion problem, Right?...If thats the case, what other mods if any would make it "perfect" or as close to as possible?...,,,Thanks,Wan

post-2363-1157813860_thumb.jpg

I had heard that the new 6497 G series had the correct cannion pinion height but i am not sure........So if that is correct, you can just order a pam127G and you will not have the cannon pinion problem, Right?...If thats the case, what other mods if any would make it "perfect" or as close to as possible?...,,,Thanks,Wan

Hi, if you are referring to the 6497-1, which is currently being discussed at great length with regard to a problem with the hairspring touching the balance [censored], I have just received a 183G with this 'rogue' movement from Joshua, and the pinion is not flush. (see pic) However, Finepics has suggested that the problem possibly lies with the hands and not the pinion, and this can be rectified.

Incidentally, the movement itself is working fine, and bearing in mind that I am no watchmaker, the hairspring appears to be lying parallel, and looks as if it's mounted correctly in the hairspring stud, for the moment!

It will be interesting to see what happens, but hopefully it won't develop the same symptoms as the others.

Nope, unfortunatelly they still have the same problem - short cannon pinion and hour hand wheel.

However you should be able to order the watch with the correct sized pinion as custom, from Davidsen for exam[ple, or send it to The Zigmeister for a 'fix'.

cheers,

babola

Not true guys. Most of the new G series (but not all) do have the correct cannon pinion but the hands are still the long tube type so the pin still looks recessed. Easy way to check is to measure the hour wheel (as that just lifts off). If it measures 2.15mm then you have the correct cannon pinion so what you will need to do is either get a set of Davidsens hands with the short tube or use a nail file to bring the rep hand tube down to .44mm high. Should not be difficult to do this with the painted hands but Gold hands are easily scratched.