When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 088

Frankie

Hi all Pam fans. I have finally decided to bite the bullet on a new Pam 088 and am waiting to hear from DSN regarding buying one from him.

Can anyone give me some feedback who have purchased his 088 as I have researched it and come up with mixed conclusions which are, however wrong they might be as follows:-

DSN has the best dial with the secondhand dial being the most correct but the Crown and guard arent as good as the cartel

The cartel Ultimate is a better watch but the dial isnt as good.

I think I will go with the DSN if he gets back to me as I can always mod the CG but I would love to hear from people who own either.

Over to you guys

Personally I prefer the Ultimate.

I think with regard to the dial they are both equally inaccurate on the Subdial.... one to dark and one to light. I think both pass as decent reps overall.

I think with regard to the dial they are both equally inaccurate on the Subdial.... one to dark and one to light. I think both pass as decent reps overall.

Absolutely agree. I personally prefer the DSN silver sub-dialed one, as it adds to the "polished silver theme" of the 088 (case, CG, sub-dial, and hands), while the cartel's is more suited for a 161 rep.

The movement quality will be identical, but DSN uses undecorated movements, while the cartel's usually have their rotors and inner case backs decorated with "pearlage" and Panerai markings - woopee :rolleyes:

The date wheel on the cartel version is better.

The crystal and cyclops on the cartel version is closer to the genuine one.

DSN's current CG is thicker than the cartel one, but depending upon what series you are trying to rep, it may not be accurate. I believe his backs are "G" series, so it is accurate for his reps. But the cartels are "I" series, so their CG is completely inaccurate.

DSN's hour hand is incorrect.

Finally, DSN's lume is much better than the Cartel's, as far as intensity and duration goes. However, some of his dials have a greener look to their markings when the lume is not active - but some don't.

I would only recommend the Ultimate 088... as for dials, DSN's dials suffer from some little geometry issues that are extremely noticeable to me... the angles, the thickness of the indices... something... I can always spot a DSN dial... especially the autos. Plus the ultimate 088 has the ultimate crystal and cyclops which is seriously night and day difference from DSN an is the ONLY crystal that is almost Gen level... and the ultimate 088 has the Gen shaped date font wich is much thicker and crisper than DSN... bottom line is it's worth the extra $$ for the Ultimate from Josh or Andrew...

Well, ive bitten the bullet and ordered a DSN 088, this was before I read Kbiz post regarding the watch so will be interested to see what turns up, will post photos for comment and feedback. Watch this space!!!