When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 089 crystal options

RickHiC

I'm otherwise very happy with my DSN 089, but the cyclops has the tell-tale rough edge/glue marks. First, is there consensus that the cartel ultimate 088/089 is the best crystal option, and second, will this drop in a DSN case?

Also, how do you go about sourcing just a crystal from the dealers?

I'm also thinking about trying to pop off my cyclops and refine the edge (I have 3m abrasive film in increments down to .5 micron), but I'm afraid I might make things worse. I can't tell if it's the cyclops edge itself or the glue job that's the problem.

I,ve got the exact same problem, I have a DSN 088 as I prefer the dial but the crysal is no so good so wish to change it, there is a company that sell aftermarket crystals but I,ve heard there are not to good so would welcome any suggestions from fellow members.

There still is no better option on the market... the ultimate is by far the closest to Gen but the AR is a bit too blue and the AR will vary from batch to batch... DSN will sell you his new one piece crystal which has 7mm cyclops and has less "Halo" but isn't as good in mag or look but better than everything else available and you can send it to be AR coated since it's one piece and not sandwich construction. Technically the 089 should have a 6.75mm cyclops and 088s would have the 7mm... If you want the Ultimate crystal you'll have to buy the whole watch and part out everything you don't want... which isn't too hard to do being that the ultimate has the best date wheel and the ultimate case set is very desirable.

There still is no better option on the market... the ultimate is by far the closest to Gen but the AR is a bit too blue and the AR will vary from batch to batch... DSN will sell you his new one piece crystal which has 7mm cyclops and has less "Halo" but isn't as good in mag or look but better than everything else available and you can send it to be AR coated since it's one piece and not sandwich construction. Technically the 089 should have a 6.75mm cyclops and 088s would have the 7mm... If you want the Ultimate crystal you'll have to buy the whole watch and part out everything you don't want...

which isn't too hard to do being that the ultimate has the best date wheel and the ultimate case set is very desirable.

I need a bit of clarification regarding the crystal, can the cartel crystal and cyclops have the ar removed ?
If both the DSN and the cartel can have the AR from the cycops removed then which is the best and would it be better to send the crystal to say HauteHippie to work his magic??

nope only the 7mm for the 7750 movement...

the best bet for that watch is DSN's newest 1 piece... the mag is way better and the halo is less noticeable.

Thanks Kbiz for your reply.

Do you know if the 27A/28A that DSN been selling have 2 different version of the crystal?

I need a bit of clarification regarding the crystal, can the cartel crystal and cyclops have the ar removed ?
If both the DSN and the cartel can have the AR from the cycops removed then which is the best and would it be better to send the crystal to say HauteHippie to work his magic??

I think that Kbiz tested both the new DSN crystal and Ultimate crystal, they both are carved out from a single crystal, so the AR can definitely removable, and can get the AR recoat no problem. There was a concern that the high temperature during AR process will cause the glue to fail (iirc), but with the new all in one piece cyclop, that shouldn't be any issue (imo)

I think that Kbiz tested both the new DSN crystal and Ultimate crystal, they both are carved out from a single crystal, so the AR can definitely removable, and can get the AR recoat no problem. There was a concern that the high temperature during AR process will cause the glue to fail (iirc), but with the new all in one piece cyclop, that shouldn't be any issue (imo)

I haven't finished my testing yet... but so far it is looking good for the Ultimate crystal to achieve HauteHippie AR! The DSN is confirmed one piece and there have been several people who have sent them to HH with full success... The Ultimate Crystal is a much better crystal than even DSN's newest crystal which is why I've been testing the ultimate so thoroughly... Both crystals can have their AR removed without too much difficulty... just use regular compounds...

Thanks Kbiz for your reply.

Do you know if the 27A/28A that DSN been selling have 2 different version of the crystal?

If you've purchased the latest version of DSN's crystal then you have the 1-piece crystal already... if you're ordering just the crystal from DSN then be sure to specify the New 1-piece crystal.