When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Bezel Insert

SF_Mike

Just got a cheap bezel insert off of ebay. Was primarily getting it to replace the pearl on my current bezel insert, but before I do anything drastic I wanted to compare the 2. What do you think? #1, #2, or #2 with pearl from #1, what looks best?

#1 Had to modify it a bit to get it to fit, I think it looks better, but it doesn't reach the edges of the bezel unfortunately. Pearl looks a lot better though.

8093-5321.jpg

#2 The original... fits the bezel better

8093-5322.jpg

Both of them side by side.

8093-5323.jpg

Edited by Mike

Well the font on the first bezel is way too thin so that's no good. But I'm not sure about the "4" on the second bezel either. The top of the 4 is not flat enough. The pearl is decent though. I'm not an expert.

By-Tor is usually pretty good at this stuff. Good Luck

Option #3 it is!!! Today at lunch I drove down to ofrei... Yes I am lucky, their warehouse is about a 10 minute drive from my work, so no shipping! The place is a sight to see. I could have never imagined so many watch parts, tools, and jewelry in packed into one big room. People running around everywhere filling orders, it was crazy.

In any case, I picked up another bezel insert from them in the interest of education. Here's what it looks like, this is not glued in, just balancing on top. Pearl seems good to me, and it fits (with a little bit of work... look below)

10744-4837.jpg

It was a little too large when I got it, so I had to grind the outer edge a bit... My method (flame away if you feel the need... I'm a noob) was to attach the bezel to the end of my drill with a little bit of silly putty. Then I used a diamond stone (used for deburring ski edges) to take it down ever so slightly while the drill was running. This takes forever, but leaves a edge with no burrs.

10744-4838.jpg

Here's a comparison of the 3... all pics are in this order...

1. $15 Ebay Insert

2. Original from Trusty

3. Insert from Ofrei ($35)

10744-4839.jpg

10744-4840.jpg

Notice the difference in the shape of the 4... I've seen both on Subs (I think 2006 model has the 3 sided one? Maybe you guys know)

10744-4841.jpg

10744-4842.jpg

And to finish it off... a gratuitous lume shot :p Note: Give the credit to the camera, not necessarily the lume

10744-4843.jpg

Nice post my friend. I just grinded down my insert today also. It was a [censored] to do too. You've got a good technique though. I did the outer sides by hand and the underneath part with the dremel. Very time consuming project. Then I glued my friggin bezel shut because I had to go to work after I glued the insert in and I couldn't watch it :lol: I had to pry the bezel off and clean the gunk out. Looks great now though.

Then I glued my friggin bezel shut because I had to go to work after I glued the insert in and I couldn't watch it :lol: I had to pry the bezel off and clean the gunk out. Looks great now though.

What glue did you use? I've read a few posts, but I'm getting lazy and don't want to go to the hardware store, so I'm thinking I may just do some careful superglue-ing

SF Mike.

I believe you made the correct choice!!! Looks good. Nice technique, quite MacGyver of you! How long was the wait at Ofrei's???

Regards,

KMAN

No wait at Ofrei's... went around 2:30, I was the only one in the parking lot, and the only "customer" inside