When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

replacing a 2813 - I've searched and done the reading, now I just need help

fijikid

So, I posted a while ago how I screwed up my U1 by trying to increase the brake pressure on the second hand tension spring (great idea, idiot :bangin: )

I just wanna wear my U1 cuz it's so cool. I know I need the so-called "tall canon pinion" version of the 2813 - where do I get one? Should I just ask Josh to sell me a replacement movement? Can I put a Miyota 8215 in there? Despite stem hole issues, can a 4813 go into the Sinn? Should I just order a new one with an ETA inside?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Willing to trade NYC based favors (legal) for exceptional help. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's the 4813 that I know for sure has the tall cannon pinion issue. Zig says an 8215 is the preferred replacement...but it doesn't hack and is still slow beat.

The 4813 hacks, is high beat...but is hard to find outside of some of the dealers in the proper tall cannon pinion.

Hope this helps.

Older Thread Referencing 8215

The above link is old...but Zig's mentioned it a few times since...and the a21j movements have not changed so the info is still valid. Zig has said the 8215 swap is generally straight forward...or can be done "with little mod" work.

From Watchuseek on an ETA vs 8215:

Good question. I'll answer to the best of my ability regarding basic features. I'm not a watchmaker.

1. Big cost difference. ETA more expensive.

2. 28.8k vs. 21.6k. ETA will have a "smoother" sweep second hand

3. ETA will hack (second hand stops when setting time). Miyota does not hack.

4. ETA can be manually wound. Not sure if Miyota can be manually wound with crown.

5. Hand sizes are different. More hand options for ETA if building your own watch

6. Dial feet location. dials are not interchangeable between the two unless modified

Thanks, Toad. Pretty much what I've suspected at this point. I'll probably try the miyota route, though I'm a bit concerned about hand sizes as I think the minute hand hole size is slightly different.

Moral of the story - don't mess with the 2813. It's a fine movement if you just leave it alone.