When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best All Gold Sport Model

red1680

Can anyone provide a reference or suggestion on where to find the best all gold sports Rolex? A Sub or Daytona. I have a Gen TT Sub so I dont want anything that looks cheap. I know generally the plated gold pieces do not look well so I stay away from them, but I have been impressed lately by the quality of the Reps..Anyway thanks for any and all help.

I have a Gen TT Sub so I dont want anything that looks cheap. I know generally the plated gold pieces do not look well so I stay away from them, but I have been impressed lately by the quality of the Reps..Anyway thanks for any and all help.

Full gold plated reps are no good. Unfortunately. They might look ok in the pictures but the weight and feel difference between plated steel and real gold is just huge. Stick with the stainless steel with reps.

Or ask if Richard Lawton wants to sell his full gold Day-Date rep. LINK.

By-Tor is generally correct. If you want a gold plated rep that is both wearable & a keeper, you are out of luck. Best to stick with steel & avoid gold (or two tone). Contrary to sellers' claims, most rep gold-plating/wrapping/dipping (or whatever sales hyperbole is used) looks either fake, fades/wears quickly or scratches easily (leaving the underlying base metal visible for all to see).

However, for a case dweller (a watch that sees little actual wrist time), DW offers a pretty nice 6239 that can be used as the base for a pretty nice franken (crystal, crown/tube & bracelet are gens & caseback is a DW V72 that he gold-plated for this watch - I still need to track down proper pump pushers that fit the case so I can finally seat the bezel)

1391.jpg

1371.jpg

0101-3.jpg