When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HBB waterproofing?

maugomez

well, I don't think you can make it a lot more waterproof then it is standard. what you can do is lubricate a very little bit, the rubber o ring in the case back. don't put too much on, just a bit to make the rubber o ring shiny.

second is that you can lube the rubber o ring on the crown. for that you need to remove the crown from the movement. again, just a little bit grease. very little bit. you never want it to be able ending up in the movement.

the hardest thing is to waterproof the chrono pushers. so therefore is it better NOT TO SWIM with it. for waterproofing the chrono pushers they need to be removed from within the case, lubing and/or replacing the tiny o rings.

And at last, but certainly not the least: Always have your rep tested in a professional waterproofing machine by a a jeweler or watch smith if you intend to go swim with it. Then you know how much pressure it can really take. rep watches are not very quality like build, so 95 out of 100 watches might be very good waterproof and 5 may not. Therefore test it!!!

any watch smith can do it. The only thing which is difficult is replacing rubber o rings for the pusher. but like I wrote earlier, you cannot make is so much more waterproof then it already is. On some watches it can (f.i. a panerai making the lever more tight to the crown).

chronograph reps will ALWAYS, i repeat ALWAYS be less waterproof then reps with screwn down case back (Hublot does not have screw down back), screw down crown.

And always test it. and remember 5ATM/Bar is not sufficient for swimming and jumping in water.

Edited by hooky

I have had mine waterproofed by Domi.

Never actually tried the chrono under water, but other than that it works well.

As to pressure requirement, the 5 atm is the standard recommendation.

My own experience is that of a cheap chrono (not an HBB) which I have swum with regularly without any problems. It was finally tested a couple of months ago and only passed 2 atm.

I still use it and still have no problems.

You should never ever use the chrono push button in water. The pressure extended on the chrono pusher when pressed it, will be much higher than 5-10 bar and the chance you will press water in is very high.

I have had mine waterproofed by Domi.

As to pressure requirement, the 5 atm is the standard recommendation.

My own experience is that of a cheap chrono (not an HBB) which I have swum with regularly without any problems. It was finally tested a couple of months ago and only passed 2 atm.

I still use it and still have no problems.

Do you know what did domi did to the pushers? he replaced the o-rings??? or just grease them???

i

I own a Hublot and greased the O-rings at the pushers. I did it by myself and Im not a professional..

Had a cheap thing to try the waterproofing.. It worked.. I started to build my own better tester and test again

But if you want a chrono watch to go for a swimm you better take one with screw down pushers!!

I own a Hublot and greased the O-rings at the pushers. I did it by myself and Im not a professional..

Had a cheap thing to try the waterproofing.. It worked.. I started to build my own better tester and test again

But if you want a chrono watch to go for a swimm you better take one with screw down pushers!!

just for fun you know....

and obviously i