When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-A 001 and 004

fishgodeep

Evening All,

Had a couple of days off for my birthday, so chilled a bit with the family and got some decent bench time in as well :)

I managed to finish these two pieces to a level I'm happy with and also snapped some half decent (ish) photos.

I'm especially pleased with how Avitt's Pre-A style DLC shows up on the 004 - it looks exactly the same colour as some of the famous gen library images that I aspired to - really pleased with the finished result- Big Thanks TV :)

004 Quick Specs :EL Case Set , T-48 , Sapphire from "that seller on Ebay" , DSN hands , DSN OP6500 0099/100 caseback - ETA Engine

I'm pleased with the 001 as well - it's been in my collection for 3 or more years now so actually has the feel of an old genuine watch more than any other in my collection.

001 Quick Specs : ETA Engine, JF case set /CG / Crystal ,One of those good spring loaded crowns that you have no idea where it came from, B 1176 Solid Case back (not totally incorrect ;) ) Ziggy lumed hands

Strap wise , 001 is on custom made Robert Ross Signature Metta , 004 is a Manifaturra Firenze SE 1942 Tan Calf, both with OEM tang buckles.

Thanks for looking and keep the faith - RWG IS the place to watch !

FGD

P1030778.jpg

P1030780.jpg

P1030781.jpg

P1030782.jpg

P1030785.jpg

P1030786.jpg

P1030787.jpg

P1030789.jpg

P1030790.jpg

P1030800.jpg

P1030793.jpg]

P1030796.jpg

P1030804.jpg

Also, if you want to be a true purist there is no such thing as "non matching" in PreA. That term is specifically reserved for the 90 units of early PreV 201|202|203/A that received the reactive lacquer formulation over the dial indeces.

The difference in dial and hand color of "T-" and "T" vendome PreA, A and later production years is due to the binding compound, differences in the method of application of compound to dial vs hands, environmental factors as well as PSC intervention to replace hands with badly corroded and crumbling compound with NOS hands.

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind comments - improving accuracy is THE passion of ours I know

@ Mr Treewithroots - clearly you have the eye or the knowledge (or both) so thanks for pointing that out.

You have started something now that I may have to finish , starting to make enquiries with some contacts in Switzerland as I type :)

W0lf - I think there is such a thing as non-matching Pre-A's - unless these pictures are not telling the truth :)

Pre A 001 004

Pre A 001

Cheers

FGD

PS - Anyone waiting for anything from me - apologies for the slight delay , I'm back in the UK now so will get stuff going by the weekend

FGD,

I'm familiar with the fact that there is a difference in color between the hands and the dial in PreA watches as well as other Vendome models with Tritium treated luminous compound. However, the Non Matching term as coined by D.Grandry (along with others like PreV and PreA) only applies to the "unlucky" PreV batch of 90 watches where the reactive varnish has caused accelerated aging of the luminous compound, and as a byproduct a beautiful amber color of the dial indexes. There is a discussion on Paneristi where Mr.Grandry has laid down the law so to speak with respect to this phenomena. I can link it for those interested. There have been discussions regarding vendome watches exhibiting a similar effect but nobody has come up with a fitting term, "differently patinaed" and others have been suggested.