When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Speedmaster Day-Date Yellowish Dial

ruelcortez

I recently acquired an Omega Speedmaster Day-Date Black edition from watheden.com. The replication is very good indeed, the case has serial numbers and when opened it has correct engravings on the back of the case back and the rotor :Omega 3606. The bracelet is very comfortable and the clasp with buttons are safely secured.

Only two things are easy tell, the 24-hour indicator on the subdial at 9 o'clock has lumes instead of nothing. And the other one is the entire dial. It looks to me somehow yellowish or old. The silver markers and hands looked gold and dial being brown. Is this due to the overcoating of anti-reflective treatment inside or is it the dial itself? I would not bother on opening my watch at this early stage.

Anyone here has the same issue? How have you fixed this?

Thanks for any help

My bet would be that it's a strong yellow tint in the AR. Not that I know that for sure, but I've seen a number of photos where that's been quite evident and it's also been mentioned on the forum a few times. If that turns out to be the problem, I guess your only options are to send it off somewhere to have the AR re-done, or to exchange the watch. There are certainly Day-Dates with excellent AR out there; I can't see even a hint of a yellowish (or different coloured) cast on my white Day-Date.

Hi mate

Thanks for your kind help. I will try to have the watch opened and find out if this was actually due to the crystal coating.

If that's the case then I will remove the AR then. Some sites suggests to use abrasive solution such as metal polish, sunblock etc.

Anyone recommend anything else which is really effective?

Cheers

Ruel

Hi Agrippa

You're right, it was only the crystal that was yellowish. I have managed to open the watch today, and seen the dial has deep black, bright silver markers and hands. I am little bit frustrated on this crsytal.

Now, I have tried to use solvents on the crsytal (inside and outside) but no luck, I think I'll just go to my watchmith friend and see if he has clear (no AR), dome sapphire crystal which would fit my watch.

Let me know your thoughts, anyways thanks again.

Hi

Managed to take picture yesterday. The day-date now looks perfectly fine. The watchsmith friend did a good job on replacing the crystal with Dome one but without AR. It snagged into place with fine glue.

The lume on 24 hour indicator located at 9o'clock position has been removed as well. Looked to me Gen now.

Will post detailed pics sooner.

• 2 weeks later...