When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Return Logistics

dovo1695

I just got back from a business trip and I need to return a watch to a collector ASAP. Thing is, I've never actually done it before. Up until now I guess I've been really lucky in my watch purchases! I apologize in advance if this is a really dumb question. :whistling:

I did the requisite search of the forums to see if anyone had posted this topic before but came up with a few hundred hits that just say "I returned my watch". Are there any tips that members could share? I'm shipping from the US so I'm guessing that I should probably use the US Postal service. Should I get a tracking ID? Are there customs forms? Are there any tips you can give me to ensure a safe and issue free return?

I really appreciate it.

Dovo

It's really quite simple, first send It back the same way you received It. I was told by my dealer to use standard shipping. I was also told to leave a note Inside the box that says " watch not working, please repair" Just In case customs opens It. Dont mention replica anywhere. I think It was around $12.00 from NC. I have had to send two watches back, no problems what so ever.good luck :victory: Mike

i always pay a little extra for tracking so you can confirm that it actually did arrive. another thing is to be sure to set this all up with your dealer before you ship it. the reason being is that the address is usually different than where it came from. good luck.

Very good point on the address :good:

You will also need to attach a customs form.

I'd recommend that you mark it "used watch sent for repair" and mark the value as $5.

I never use anything but the USPS for a return. I send it First Class (always airmail to China now) and register it if I think it is worth more than $100 to me. Insurance is useless so don't waste the money on it.

Go to the USPS website and see what customs form you need. Sometimes if the value is low, the small Green form sometimes the bigger white form. It varies according to value as well as country shipped to.

Never use the word replica anywhere, anytime. Keep the value below 100 USD. As someone said above, on the customs form under content write "broken watch, returned for repair". You can also write a short note inside with the same info.Insurance isn't worth the money you pay for it.Registered is much better if there is some value. Registered means the chain of posession is verified at every waypoint. The USPS pays way better attention to registered than regular airmail, First class or even priority.

Keep all the paperwork, receipt, your copy of the customs declaration, Etc. If the item goes missing, you can prove that you shipped with the stamped customs form. I don't throw this stuff away until the package is safely in the buyers hands and they have signed for or acknowledged receipt of the package.

Shipping, especially outside your home country, is fraught with many pitfalls and dangers, but if you do your part correctly, it lessens tha dangers tremendously.