When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vostok Komandirskie

lhooq

809008136_Y6TUD-L.jpg

This Vostok is the first mechanical watch I ever owned. I bought it new in 1989, and wore it every day until some time in 1995 when it seized up and the crown would no longer wind. I tried to find someone who could get it running again, but was told by the guy at the department store watch repair counter (shows how much I knew back then) that the entire movement would have to be replaced. That sounded like way more hassle and expense than I wanted to go through, especially since I was still in high school. I started wearing my quartz Bulova again, and put the Vostok away in various drawers for fifteen years.

809008334_gQFwT-L.jpg

809008277_szn8z-L.jpg

I finally got the brainwave to bring this piece to my regular watchmaker just a few days ago. He said everything in the movement looked fine, but that it just needed a bit of cleaning. So he did, and filled in the portion of the minute hand from where the lume had fallen out. Afterward, I polished the crystal as best I could with Polywatch, and cleaned out all the green gunk that had accumulated between the metal and leather. Aside from the springbars (which were originally shoulder-less pains in the butt), everything is still original and beaten up quite nicely. The 2414A movement keeps the time well enough, but winding the crown for minutes to set the date is a headache. Oddly, I never noticed the lack of a quickset back in high school!

809008402_S94Ms-L.jpg

I doubt this watch will ever be worth more than $100, but the sentimental value is immense. It's great to have it running and on my wrist again.

1976: Really nice selection you have, and great strap choices, too.

AMK: I'm familiar with the Amphibia, but I've never seen this reissue before. Wow! I love the groovy Cyrillic script, and the '1967' in disco letters! Despite the name, it really looks like a watch design from the mid-70s.

Speaking of which, the Poljot Ocean is the next Russian watch I would want to buy. Prices have been shooting up in the past couple of years, unfortunately:

809042561_qordH-X3.jpg

• Like 1