When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Traveling to NYC

Samurai

Am flying to NYC in about 24 hours and arrive there on the 23rd March afternoon......flying back on the 28th March eve.

Need some help with iPhone + SIM card. What I need is a local SIM card which allows me to surf Internet /check mails (preferably on 3G).

Saw a deal on Mr.Simcard.com - http://mrsimcard.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=7160252

This deal gives - USA (15 day) iPhone sim - Unlimited Data- 500 mins- FREE nights/wknds + $25 for DID (discounted International Dial)

Is this site legit? Any other options in terms of getting a SIM card?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Am flying to NYC in about 24 hours and arrive there on the 23rd March afternoon......flying back on the 28th March eve.

Need some help with iPhone + SIM card. What I need is a local SIM card which allows me to surf Internet /check mails (preferably on 3G).

Saw a deal on Mr.Simcard.com - http://mrsimcard.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=7160252

This deal gives - USA (15 day) iPhone sim - Unlimited Data- 500 mins- FREE nights/wknds + $25 for DID (discounted International Dial)

Is this site legit? Any other options in terms of getting a SIM card?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like both AT&T and T-mobile sell prepaid SIM cards. Usually they try to sell you a phone as a package deal especially if it is a Company owned store. It would be worth a try to check with a cellular store that sells several brands. NYC is loaded with stores selling phones, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one that sells AT&T and T-Mobile.I'm sure they will sell you a prepaid card that can be reloaded when you need more minutes.

Unlike most countries, the USA has a little different way of handling cellular. In most countries, you buy and unlocked phone, and you pick and chose the carrier you want to use. You buy a preloaded SIM and reload it with minutes when you need more. Here in the USA the carriers sell a locked phone with their SIM card and you enter into a contract (Usually one or two years),with a plan that allows a certain amount of minutes, data, etc per month.Unfortunately, unless you get your phone "unlocked" either by the carrier, or an independent shop that can supply the unlock codes for a price, you are stuck with the carrier you bought your phone from. As long as you are in the USA, that isn't too bad, however if you travel outside the USA, it creates a problem because you cannot buy a country specific SIM and just pop it into your phone, like folks from other parts of the world are free to do with their unlocked phones.

Thanks mate. Getting SIM cards is not an issue....it's just that they don't come with data/gprs access...which is quite weird.

According to what I just read, AT&T does offer data and internet, it says you must call AT&T to activate that feature.

Here is a link to USASIMS, a company that sells AT&T as well as T-mobile prepaid cards

USA SIMS

You might want to give them a call and see what they offer. As I said in my previous post, because the USA handles cell service quite differently than a lot of other countries, there isn't a big demand here for prepaid SIM cards.