When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster Date Panda?

lhooq

I try to keep myself updated on all things Omega, so I was caught off-guard a couple of nights ago when I saw this model at the Lotte Department Store in Seoul:

818335261_iQVEk-X3.jpg

At first glance, I thought I was looking at a Mitsukoshi Edition Speedy Pro, but it didn't take long for me to realize it was something else. Omega's done the "Classic Daytona" look for its Speedies before, but never this attractively, in my opinion. It was selling in the low USD 3000s. Since I don't spend that kind of money on a whim, and I had no clue about this particular model, I bit my tongue and let it stay behind the glass counter.

I scribbled the reference number down (323.30.40.40.04.001), which is what led me to the picture above. However, entering that number into Omega's online search function yields nothing. Other search results just give bits and pieces of information, none of which I've been able to verify. Does anyone know when this Speedmaster was released, and whether it's a limited edition? Is it a Japan-only special, and, if so, how many were made? The guy behind the counter spoke little English, but said that it was a new model and was 40mm in diameter. Other than a smile when we showed each other our Speedy Pros, that's all I got out of him!

Most importantly, should I be regretting not buying this when it was sitting right there in front of me? Damn, those black hands looked nice against the white dial!

Sweet, thanks for the update! I've been visiting Omega ADs around Asia since the start of the year, and this is the first time I'd seen one of these. It's definitely worthy of a double-take the first time you see one in person!

Hmm... Now that I know it's not so rare, will I want it less? I sort of hope so, since I don't know if I can afford this and that new retro Tudor Chrono!