When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIc with better rehaut engraving (finally!)

sneed12

Since there doesn't appear to be a GMT IIc built with rehaut engraving that is correctly lined up, I ended up having to piece one together.

My faithful GMT IIc with Swiss ETA on the left, an A21J model I picked up on the right:

dsci0078.jpg

I got the A21 model specifically because it looks like the rehaut engraving lines up. Closer inspection shows that the ROLEXROLEXROLEX is quite good in terms of lining up with the minute markers, but the serial number at 6 o'clock isn't any better.

Bezel numbers are fatter on the a21j insert, and surprisingly the bezel on that case clicks between numbers with far more authority.

dsci0080.jpg

The R lining up at the 9 marker is the thing that I was most interested in.

Uncasing the movements was straightforward, the only annoying thing was that the crowns didn't interchange. The ETA stem in the crown from the a21j case was slightly too short when screwed all the way in, it just barely clears the threads when pulled out to the date adjust position. I'll need to get a stem extender eventually.

Quick pic of the two uncased movements next to each other:

dsci0085.jpg

The lighter color on the GMT hand, and the larger minute index marks (on the 21j, on the right) seem to be the only differences.

dsci0089.jpg

ETA movement in its new case. I figured this was a good opportunity to polish the band, so it'll live on the NATO for a couple of days.

Hi Sneed,

Nice post. Thanks for the efforts, the misaligned rehaut engraving at the 9 is just frustrating. Being a newbie, can i just clarify what you did? Did you buy the asian GMT II-c for its correct engraving to swap the swiss eta in? And because of the casing and different movement sizes, you need to use a crown extender? So now you end up with the casing, bezel, glass etc of the asian but with the swiss eta? Sorry if i sound confused, just want to clarify thanks!

Yes, that's exactly right, although I'm not using a stem extender at the moment--I loctite'd the stem into the crown and like 2 threads are engaged, I'll have to take care of that eventually. Actually I'm thinking I'll just buy a long uncut ETA stem and cut it to size.

Yes, that's exactly right, although I'm not using a stem extender at the moment--I loctite'd the stem into the crown and like 2 threads are engaged, I'll have to take care of that eventually. Actually I'm thinking I'll just buy a long uncut ETA stem and cut it to size.

Pls share where you bought the rep with correct engraving? I asked around the dealers and none have it. Thanks

I watched the sales forum till one came up. I think it originally came from Stan but I don't know for sure, I got it used.

Thanks for reply. That explains why none of the dealers i asked have such a 'correct' version. I still lurve my GMT IIc :)