When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Dilemma

Eton

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a Brand New Gen Pam Crystal with 6mm cyclops here on the forum. What I failed to ask the seller was if it had AR...sure enough, it does...but I didn't realize it until I opened up the package of course :bangin:

So, do I commit sacrilege and strip the AR or put it up for sale? AR is not correct for the watch...thus the dilemma...plus I don't think I could stomach stripping a Gen crystal. Even though the odds of coming across any 6mm Gen xtals are pretty slim!

Hope you can help!

Cheers :drinks:

Don't gen crystals have 7mm cyclops? Also why would you want to strip the AR, since it is gen it is correct, as Panerai would have just replaced the crystal in your gen with what you have. The best feature of a gen crystal is the cyclops, the AR shouldn't matter, unless it the strong rep Purple one - as gens never had this colour, only light Purple.

Just my thoughts :)

By the way, kbiz is looking for a gen crystal, you may want to PM him - he is definitely a crystal expert.

I would talk to some of the senior members (Chief, Lani, etc) about their experiences of stripping AR and strip it. If it is not correct for the watch, I (personally my own opinion) would have a hard time wearing it everyday seeing it on my wrist. Enjoy it either way!

Thanks for the input!!!

Don't gen crystals have 7mm cyclops? Also why would you want to strip the AR, since it is gen it is correct, as Panerai would have just replaced the crystal in your gen with what you have. The best feature of a gen crystal is the cyclops, the AR shouldn't matter, unless it the strong rep Purple one - as gens never had this colour, only light Purple.

Just my thoughts :)

By the way, kbiz is looking for a gen crystal, you may want to PM him - he is definitely a crystal expert.

I thought about kbiz as well, so I'll see what he says!

I would talk to some of the senior members (Chief, Lani, etc) about their experiences of stripping AR and strip it. If it is not correct for the watch, I (personally my own opinion) would have a hard time wearing it everyday seeing it on my wrist. Enjoy it either way!

I wouldn't since getting the gen AR is hard too. If you don't mind me asking what kind of auto build are you doing?

Rock and a hard place for sure! Alright...I'll let the cat out of the bag...I managed to find an EL063, my grail!!!

A gen PAM crystal with 6mm cyclops and AR?? :g: Something doesn't quite add up here...

Trust me, you've turned me into an AR nut :thumbsupsmileyanim: So, I was shocked...didn't seem right at all!

I would be interested to find out which post C-year 44mm luminor came with a 6mm cyclops. Is it possibe the A/R is aftermarket?

It's still in the original packaging, from a 28...I should have done more homework :bangin:

If you are building a 63 and you really have a gen 28 crystal be forewarned that the 28 crystal most likely has different magnification than the 63 because the 28 movement (2893-2) actually has a secondary cyclops built into the movement. Although I do have to pile in and say I have never heard of AR on a 6mm. If it is gen is it possible that it is a crystal for the secondary issue last year of the 28? I never looked to see what size cyclops that one has. I have a couple of frankens with the gen 6mm crystal including a power reserve where I removed the movement's cyclops to make the magnification accurate. If you really do have a gen crystal you should PM me and we can talk about a swap if you like. By the way I don't think I would remove the AR since in theory a service crystal could have AR. And by the way every time I have ever sent a watch into Panerai for service the first thing they try and do is sell you another crystal for $575 telling you it is "chipped under the bezel". Seriously, I got that one on the last couple I sent in for quote.

If you are building a 63 and you really have a gen 28 crystal be forewarned that the 28 crystal most likely has different magnification than the 63 because the 28 movement (2893-2) actually has a secondary cyclops built into the movement. Although I do have to pile in and say I have never heard of AR on a 6mm. If it is gen is it possible that it is a crystal for the secondary issue last year of the 28? I never looked to see what size cyclops that one has. I have a couple of frankens with the gen 6mm crystal including a power reserve where I removed the movement's cyclops to make the magnification accurate. If you really do have a gen crystal you should PM me and we can talk about a swap if you like. By the way I don't think I would remove the AR since in theory a service crystal could have AR. And by the way every time I have ever sent a watch into Panerai for service the first thing they try and do is sell you another crystal for $575 telling you it is "chipped under the bezel". Seriously, I got that one on the last couple I sent in for quote.

Thanks for the input! The 63 has the 2893-2 mov't as well. But I'm guessing that the 28 crystal IS from the secondary issue, spot on there! I didn't think that the mag would be different, talk about complicated :bangin:

I can't get over the fact Panerai would try and sell you another crystal...it's almost like going into a car dealership for servicing and we all know what THEY do! :thumbdown:

I agree... sounds like you have a 028 crystal... maybe... but if so the magnification is probably off... the 027/028 have a very deep sunken DW issue they partially corrected with the extra cyclops... I'm pretty confident that crystal has AR mainly due to the multiple cyclops' that they wanted to minimize all the reflections as the internal cyclops definitely has AR. I wouldn't strip factory AR ever... that crystal is worth more than one from an 063/029...

Whatever it is you have one very valuable crystal. My suggestion is throw it on the watch and you will know whether it is a 28 or 63 crystal. I truly can't think of any 6mm cyclops other than the 40mm models and the 28L.

Little gmt inspiration for you :) :

Gen 6mm cyclops:

DSC_0014.jpg

Original Watchmaster6mm cyclops:

DSC_0065.jpg

Whatever it is you have one very valuable crystal. My suggestion is throw it on the watch and you will know whether it is a 28 or 63 crystal. I truly can't think of any 6mm cyclops other than the 40mm models and the 28L.

Little gmt inspiration for you :) :

Gen 6mm cyclops:

DSC_0014.jpg

Original Watchmaster6mm cyclops:

DSC_0065.jpg

You're an 023 BRAT!