When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Made a new strap for the Cali... what a major PITA!

projectologist

I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought "how cool would it be to make my own strap for this watch". And it's a stitch-less version so shouldn't be that hard to cobble together. WRONG 69aefc62.gif !!!!!

Took way longer than I thought it would, my thumbs are still throbbing and I have new respect for the REAL strapmakers that grace this forum. Good gawd, I even had trouble cutting the leather cleanly to a consistent 26mm width... redo, reglue, retrim. The stitching turned out to be the easiest part, it just took me half a day to get to that stage 4fc1d916.gif.

So here are some pics of my attempt at a vintage strap... and although I b!tched and moaned the whole time, it was worth it in the end.

Glued and starting to stitch it together...

strap01-1.jpg

First side done...

strap02a.jpg

DONE!!! A little comparo next to the real thang smile1.gif (gen watch and gen strap on the left)

StrapComparo01.jpg

Some wristies... vintage length would be filled out by the diver's wetsuit... yeah I know the buckle isn't correct (was used 10 years later), but I really like it.

Caliwristy01.jpg

Caliwristy02.jpg