When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN fiddy

garygraphy

just received my dsn fiddy and i find its good stuff with a couple of minor exceptions. the greatest of which is the crownguard engraving which i think leaves much to be desired.

i'm not 100% sure about the position, but it seems a tad high and the engraving is rather shallow when i compare it with my getat homage.

so how do most fiddy lovers get a better engraved crownguard?

thanks for any advise.

here's a pic... i guess its hard to judge in the picture, but it looks shallow to me especially when i compare to an engraved CG from a getat homage.

position wise seems kinda ok i guess but i'm not 100% sure either.

4497250884_6bc4337831_o.jpg

regardless its sure a nice watch... just that at the back of my head, the CG engraving is nagging at me.

For me just looks like there's dirt in the lettering (E, G and T especially).

Wooden toothpick and scrape it out should do the trick, and will avoid scratches.

Position, depth etc I'll leave to the experts.....

Otherwise nice looking piece.

here's a close up crop

4496654401_c3076451ae_o.jpg

The CG engraving depth and font on your DSN is per gen specs, nothing to worry about. The text position should be a tad closer to the case, but that's minor.

GETAT/Jackson hommage cases shouldn't be used as a reference, IMO. They differ from the genuine cases quite a bit actually. I've handled both their 44 and 47mm cases and they're sub par compared to standard cartel/DSN ones.

See the pic of a gen below for comparison:

SimonaWholeFront1.jpg

cheers,

b

Great to see you back around here Babola......long time.....

Still kicking, mate :D

thanks,

b

garygraphy: If you don't mind, can you post a closeup of the DSN "Luminor Panerai" font. Just curious how it looks like nowadays. I used to have a DSN 127, but the font printing left much to be desired (the "M" looked like IVI").

garygraphy: If you don't mind, can you post a closeup of the DSN "Luminor Panerai" font. Just curious how it looks like nowadays. I used to have a DSN 127, but the font printing left much to be desired (the "M" looked like IVI").

If it's of any help, DSN never produced a 127 dial of his own. He's been using the cartel Fiddy dials available from the rep factories at the time.

They were the best in early '06 (Honpo, Eddie Lee, Angus and River were some of the dealers that had them at the time) then slowly degraded in print quality as well as color of the dial text which turned from a good creamy/ivory color to a light even dark brown on some dials.

I personally owned 3 of his 127 reps over the years, with the last dial on his 'ultimate 127' from the early 09 being the worst of them all. I kept his first from '06 and sold the other two.

Again - not his fault, he installs the PAM127 dials he sources from the rep factories.

cheers,

b