When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick review DSSD from Mary

scotty

For a while I've been debating over buying a DSSD. With all the versions evolution, flaws and debates, I was hesitant. However with the Ultimate 316F and Laniki's review, I became decided.

This is my first Rolex, never having been a huge fan. I always felt the Sea Dwellers and Submariners were a shade too small, and I was never really attracted to the rest of the models.

But the DSSD kept comming back on me.....so after much deliberation I decided to go for it.

I chose Watch International (Mary). I'd never bought from her before, but had had some communications and enquiries and had always been very impressed with her communication and style.

After having located a watch, we debated over the pics, and Mary herself decided to locate another one since the crystal on the first was a shade too high. Her own initiative it must be said.

Watch and correct 10 bezel were posted on 25/3. They arrived here in EU yesterday via EMS, so good shipping time of 2 weeks.

So what do I think?

Upon unwrapping (the packaging used was excellent - flawless) I have to say it's a nice piece.

There have been so many reviews that I'll try not to repeat. Rather, I'll give my views from a non Rolex person.

I compare to the 45.5mm PO - my gen.

The DSSD wears surprisingly well. Yes it's much thicker (I think 3mm); I was worried it would look stupidly high on the wrist, but from most positions it sits well.

The bracelet taper is typical Rolex and much more than the PO. PO goes from 22 to 20mm. The DSSD goes from 20 to 18mm, but you notice it. Whilst meaning it looks slimmer, it does mean the watch fits well around the wrist bone (or at least mine that sticks out...).

However the case size is good with enough presence without being a big flat hockey puck. In the respect it's on par or slightly better than the 45.5mm PO. It would look much bigger than the 42mm PO.

Styling in the flesh is very nice. The glossy ceramic bezel and gloss/semi gloss dial, with the hour marker rings and silvered hands, pick out light. They sparkle and shine, attracting the eye.

Build quality is very good. No marks. Watch head feels solid, though not as heavy as the PO.

The bracelet being typical Rolex feels flimsy compared to Omega bracelets (the PO or the Seamaster). I think the rep bracelet is said as being pretty good compared to the gen. It's more to do with the dimensions and thicknesses of the parts, all being on a smaller and thinner scale compared to Omegas (rep or gen).

Bracelt uses screws for the links so adjusting is simplicity itself, and the glidelock works excellently (hope it doesn't break as per some reports - again rep and gen).

The 316F steel has a very evident colour and sheen difference. I haven't cleaned or oiled the bracelet yet, but the difference is notable compared to the Omegas or my (suposedly) 316L PAM cases and bracelet. The DSSD in 316F simply has a different colour and almost texture.

Engravings are all good - the rehaut in particular is very hard to see normally. It's there though.

Lume all blue, though I'd hoped it would be more intense. But it is blue and even throughout.

In terms of the transaction with Mary - she was simply a star. Good communications throughout, and very very patient. I'll be going back to her for something else, so for now I'm very happy indeed.

As said the packaging was flawless.....

Pics? Well I'm no photographer and this watch has been photographed to death....but anyway.

Pics here are a mix of what Mary sent me as my watch, plus a couple of quick Nokia camera phone wristies from the desk.....

post-3909-127072016702_thumb.jpgpost-3909-127072018737_thumb.jpgpost-3909-127072020031_thumb.jpg

post-3909-127072021355_thumb.jpg Movement is meant to be Swiss 2836-2. I'm no expert here so can't be sure it's not a clone. I hope not......

post-3909-127072023165_thumb.jpgpost-3909-127072024181_thumb.jpg

That's it - small review.

Any PO wearers considering the DSSD I'd say go for it.

Thanks for reading....

Looks like the only problem with this one is the bezel insert. the 10 is not correctly spaced.This looks pretty similar to the DSSD's that Josh and others are selling. If you replace the bezel insert with the correct one, it will be a really nice one.