When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Functionality...does it exist in the rep world? Or just for show?

WatchnRoll

For some reason every rep i've owned that was a GMT doesn't work the right way...or I just don't know what I am doing with setting these watches! :bangin:

I now own a GMT Master from Josh. It's the asian movt and I keep trying to set the watch to USA EST and set the GMT hand to London time (5 hours ahead). I set it and come back a day later...the GMT hand is not 5 hours ahead...i've yet to get it right.

Here is the model I have.

http://www.perfect-hour.com/rlgs00088-anni-black-asia-3186-serials-p-7669.html

Does the GMT function work on this watch or is it for show? Or do I have a messed up watch?

BTW - I have a story I will be sharing about my experience in the Gen world with the Deep Sea...it's quite an unreal story but I won't be able to share for another week. As soon as I can...it's going to be interesting to say the least.

Thanks guys!

Absolutely, the GMT function is real and accurate and works as it is designed.

Every GMT watch (Genuine or rep) that uses the 2893-2 movement works the same way. You set the GMT hand to the second time zone and read it directly off the hour markers on the dial. The 2836-2 movements work the same as well. they utilize a settable GMT hand. If you are in the USA in the Central time zone, and you want to know the time in London, you would set the GMT hand forward 6 hours. So if it's 8 AM in New Orleans, it's 2 PM in London.

While many folks tout the utility of the newer genuine Rolex GMT's with settable hour hands, I find that the settable GMT works very well for me. I suppose if you were moving around a lot and moving from time zone to time zone, setting the hour hand to local time and leaving the GMT hand set for time at home would be nice. This option is not available in reps except for the correct hand stack Rolex GMT II movement which as By-Tor stated, is very unreliable.

The older genuine Rolex GMT's i.e. the 1675's and 16750's use a non settable tracking GMT hand. with these watches you turn the bezel forward or backward to read the second time zone.

This may sound confusing, but with a GMT in your hand it's pretty easy to set the watch to read two time zones