When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Electronic Experts In The Field ?

2005SUBMARINER

Get a mid priced 37-40" LCD, make sure it's good good viewing angle so you don't have to sit straight in front of it to see.

Specifically, check out Sony KDL-40V200, it's a 40", crisp and calm picture and does not look HUGE on your wall. (I was looking for a TV for my brother, and I decided on this one after looking at 10-12 models) I do not know if this is the "best in the world" but I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed.

It sells for about $3000 here in norway now.

If you go for plasma, check out the 42" Panasonic TH-42 PV60 :)

Get a mid priced 37-40" LCD, make sure it's good good viewing angle so you don't have to sit straight in front of it to see.

Specifically, check out Sony KDL-40V200, it's a 40", crisp and calm picture and does not look HUGE on your wall. (I was looking for a TV for my brother, and I decided on this one after looking at 10-12 models) I do not know if this is the "best in the world" but I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed.

thanx buddy ! thats a big 10-4 :thumbsupsmileyanim: IM looking at bestbuy right now ..

WOW, its only 2k over here!

but its still a piece of overpriced crap IMO it doesnt have 1080p/i, that means it looks crapy when you watch 1080i/p amterial, because it has do downsize it.

if you get an HDTV, get one with 1080lines horizontal! And please, DONT BUY SONY! Sony is overpriced an NOT worth it. I have a Sony in my Bar myself, but thats only because I got the sports package for free with it and it has 5 years warranty and no doubt it will have issues within the next 5 years with all the smoke and stuff in the bar

Edited by slay

I have a Sony 42" plasma, and I love it. The picture is great and handles 1080i. However, for the best value I would recommend the Vizio 50" plasma at Costco as I see you are in the US. I think they are now under $1800 and get very good reviews. I would supply you with the model number and link or two but the Costco site is down for maintenance right now. I also have one of these in the family room. Have owned it for about 5 months with no complaint. Also, please don't buyat Best Buy without checking prices at Costco or Sams. I have always found better deals there.

It depends on what your primary viewing material will be.

If lots of DVDs in a darker room home theater environment, I would suggest the Plasma. Panasonic has excellent models. You can't beat the plasma's way superior 3000:1 contrast ratio compared to LCD's 800:1 to achieve those deep black levels. Make sure the screen is properly calibrated (far from it from the factory) and burn-in is not much of a concern unless viewing lots of programs with constantly running tickers (Fox News, CNBC for example). Plasma screens and long lasting static images do not mix well over the long haul.

If you'll be watching programing with lots of tickers or used primarily in bright rooms, the LCD would be your best bet. Quality LCDs provide very vivid colors and are bright but they still lack in the contrast area which is very important to achieve that high level of detail specially in darker scenes.

Sub, if you would like to read about the pros and cons of the different screens for days, you gotta visit, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40. Home of the flat panel geeks. :D

Happy hunting.:)

Jet

Why is DLP not mentioned or an option?

Plasma....overpriced and the picture dulls quickly as the gas burns.

LCD....not bad, but the issue of dead pixels still remains. Don't think it won't happen to you....it will.

DLP does not have these issues...and 1080p (which they don't even broadcast in yet) is available at an extremely reasonable price.

Sony has an overly bright picture. It is designed that way to look good in the show room. Looks lousy once you get it home in a normal environment. Samsung is extremely unreliable. No shops in my area will even take them in because they are so problematic.

Now is actually the best time to be in the market. Mitsubishi is in the process of switching from BB to Circuit City as a primary vendor. Any Mits left at BB are being cleared out at insane prices. I got a 65 inch DLP 1080p set with multiple HDMI inputs for $2600 U.S. This is $1200 off it's original price....and the finest quality set you can imagine. It is amazingly better than the 42" Mits HD rear projection that I have....and that was "state of the art" 2 years ago.

Do your research...consider DLP...and take a look at the Mits. If you do...I guarantee that you won't be sorry.

Perhaps true bliss is viewing "the game" in high def....in surround sound....with a good rep on one hand....and an ice cold (American thing?...LOL) beer in the other.

I do enjoy the pursuit of bliss.....

Why is DLP not mentioned or an option?

Plasma....overpriced and the picture dulls quickly as the gas burns.

There is no gas in a plasma screens and the picture does not dull. :p

Added: I stand correted. Plasmas do have sealed gas particles in each of the individual tiny pixels.

Facts:

Do you have to "re-gas" Plasma TV screens?

This is one of the most common, and the most wrong myths about Plasma TVs. All plasma screens are completely, permanently sealed when manufactured. Each individual pixel in a plasma panel is sealed, and therefore cannot, and does not ever require any refilling, or recharging.

Next time some salesperson tells you about "re-filling" the gas in a plasma TV, ask them how long it takes to manually insert three different types of gas into every single pixel in the screen, and then slap him.

Someone told me that Plasma TVs don't have a very long life-span, is this true?

If you buy your Plasma screen from a quality brand you will get a TV with a rated lifetime of around 30,000 hours. What this means is if you watch TV for five hours, every single day it will last over 16 years. I'm guessing that you'll be looking to replace your plasma TV long before that happens, and on average most people buy a new home TV every eight years anyway! The lifetime of a plasma TV is measured by something called it's "half life" (this is the industry term for the period of time it takes for the display to appear half as bright as the day it was first used). All different types of TV screens, including LCD lose their brightness over time, but because it's so gradual, it's practically impossible to notice.

For larger rooms (i.e. larger than 42") I prefer Plasma. It is the reasonably priced alternative and I prefer them for movie and event viewing. The contrast/color seems more vibrant. These are impressions not scientific test though. They do have a finite life. But on the newer models the burn in issue has largely disappeared. When the picture goes bad you throw them out. The LCD I use as my every day TV. The sweetspot in terms of price appears to be 40" where I am. Both my LCD and Plasma hang on walls so there is no viewing angle issue. I have a DLP rear projection as well. They suck. Viewing angle is very limited both horizontally and vertically. My simple rule of thumb is LCD for "normal" to smaller rooms which naturally takes a 42" or smaller flat screen. Go Plasma for the family room/theatre. My 2 cents. :)

There is no gas in a plasma screens and the picture does not dull. :p

And Santa Claus rides with all our gifts in tow.....and the Bunny brings us peeps.....

"The central element in a fluorescent light is a plasma, a gas made up of free-flowing ions (electrically charged atoms) and electrons (negatively charged particles). "

Feel free to review an additional resource here:

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/howplasmaworks.html

I've been where you are at in facing a large purchase decision on a tv display...more than once. It's obvious that you won't find accurate information here. Research before you purchase....while keeping in mind the factors that are important to you. Do your homework....as there are many resources available....and don't get stuck on the treadmill....

"Jane! Get me off this crazy thing!"..... :bangin:

Jetson's tip is the best...Hang out at avsforums for a while. That's what I did about 4 years ago when I picked up my first Plasma.

I also recommend Costco. I bought a Samsung there, and watched it for about 8 months before I realized that the gray levels sucked, and there were much better choices available. I took it back for a full refund...no questions asked. Switched to Panasonic which, at the time, was the critics' pick for best value.

i'm researching same... 40" lcd or plasma. frankly, the burn in issue for plasma is no longer an issue with new technology that prevents it. lcd and plasma both have about the same life 30,000 hrs,etc. it comes down to narrowing it down to a few sets and then going to a local store and looking at them and deciding which you like.

if you are looking at the 40" Sony Bravia S series KDL-40S2000, check out LCDTVs.com ... only $1695 (!) Next up the ladder would be the Sony Bravia XBR KDL-V40XBR1 at $2275. I'd use the online prices to negotiate with your local store, then buy it local for service.

Let us know what you decide on and how you like it!

Edited by Watchwatcher

I'd use the online prices to negotiate with your local store, then buy it local for service.

Exactly. Whatever you decide on, make sure you come in with an arsenal of quotes and questions. Use these to get the best price.

This is what I did with my last Sony (which I love, by the way). I found the cheapest price online, printed it out, and dangled it in the fairweathered salesman's face when he quoted me a huge mark-up price.

I got the TV I wanted for the price I wanted. Keep us informed of your choice.

Damn, this is an expensive country I live in ;p

Opinions will be plentiful, saying this and this brand is crap will always pop up in these topics, but I was trying to be positive and recommend a couple of TV's I KNOW are great. Having personally, since June, watched anything from football games to cartoons, played PS2, XBOX360, SNES and showed Jpeg pictures to the whole family on this TV, I KNOW this is a good and a safe buy. It's won a few tests, and is currently on the high-score top recommendation list of a serious AV-magazine here in Norway.. It might be crap after 2 years, I have no experience there...

And it does have 1080p/i

As I think was commented on here, an LCD is normally not as good as a plasma in a light room, we use the LCD in a moderately lit room with no direct daylight on the screen, and you are hard up to find any flaws. Out of the box the settings were no good, you have to mess around with picture correction (turning it off) and a few other settings.. People say Sony's X-series panels will/do look even better, but a considerably steeper price.

PS: As watchwatcher suggests, it is of course called 2000, not 200 like I said in the first post :)

The Optoma HD70 projector is HD 720p and under $1000. For that you can throw the image on a white painted wall and get a 100 inch screen from about 13 feet away! If that's too big you can reduce it down to about 60 inches. Just set the projector on a table between your chairs and you have an instant movie theater!

I have an Infocus 4805 (not HD but I have no way to get it other than sat) that I paid $800 in February. The picture is better than my Sony LCD I have in my bedroom and half the price! :bleh:

Jetson's tip is the best...Hang out at avsforums for a while. That's what I did about 4 years ago when I picked up my first Plasma.

I also recommend Costco. I bought a Samsung there, and watched it for about 8 months before I realized that the gray levels sucked, and there were much better choices available. I took it back for a full refund...no questions asked. Switched to Panasonic which, at the time, was the critics' pick for best value.

I did the same thing.....the best suggestions that I can reiterate are read like crazy on avsforums and then purchase at Sams or Costco (even worth a new membership).

I did the same thing.....the best suggestions that I can reiterate are read like crazy on avsforums and then purchase at Sams or Costco (even worth a new membership).

Ahhh...An excellent recommendation that I forgot to mention. I used the opportunity to upgrade my Costco membership to Executive and, if I remember correctly, the rebate from the purchase alone covered the expense of the membership upgrade.

I bought my Philips Plasma two years ago and went through the same growing pains... In essence, there is no one-size-fits-all solution and at the end the only important factor is you, your budget and your personal taste. Everybody will recomend the stuff they bought - which might or might not be good for you.

My recomendation is to trust your own eyes... check your budget and compare plasmas and lcds at your local superstore with your own eyes. YOU have to both like the looks and the picture of your new big-size tv. Once you've found the one you want - check the net to find the best price or (if that's what you prefer) buy it where you get the best service.

If you watch a lot of TV, look at how the quality of the tuner signal looks on the TV of your choice. While most quality tvs (Plasma & LCD) look good with a DVD signal, some of them look shitty when it comes to an antenna signal (which most people watch 80% of the time).

At least in Europe, when it comes to similar picture quality, LCDs still tend to be more expensive than plasmas. Life expectancy is not an issue because plasmas will last longer than you keep your average TV (>17 years of standard viewing). At the moment, HD capaility is more of a marketing issue. Whether it will be essential for you in 18 months, is again, a question of personal taste which only you can answer. If you decide to sell it in a couple of years, it might be a relevant feature - but who knows...

Damn, this is an expensive country I live in ;p

Opinions will be plentiful, saying this and this brand is crap will always pop up in these topics, but I was trying to be positive and recommend a couple of TV's I KNOW are great. Having personally, since June, watched anything from football games to cartoons, played PS2, XBOX360, SNES and showed Jpeg pictures to the whole family on this TV, I KNOW this is a good and a safe buy. It's won a few tests, and is currently on the high-score top recommendation list of a serious AV-magazine here in Norway.. It might be crap after 2 years, I have no experience there...

My point only was that sony is too expensive. they are not total crap, but too expensive. you mostly pay for the brand and the comercials, not for their superiour technique!

And it does have 1080p/i

No, it does not have 1080i/p. It has WXGA 1366 x 768, that is 720p and not 1080!

And rearprojection TV's really suck when it comes to viewing angles!

Sorry Slay, I get your point.. I know this is not a REAL 1920x1080 resolution TV, but at 40", I'm guessing you'll be forking out a lot more than $2k for a WUXGA or whatever they are called in that res. I dunno if he wants a screen this size though, and a 37" is more affordable..

Nevertheless, Sony 'lies' the same way they all do:

Specifications

LCD TELEVISION

Screen Size 40" diagonal

Screen Aspect 16:9

Displayable Colors 16.7 Million

Contrast Ratio 1300:1

Video Standard NTSC, HDTV

Data Signals VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA

TV Scan Lines 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i

http://www.dtvcity.com/sony-lcd/sony-kdl40s2000.php

I guess we can say it accepts 1080i signal but displays it at 1366 X 768.. Which of course is a waste of good input signal.

You'll never get a clear answer in a normal shop about this though, but seeing is believing, find a good TV that works for you and your needs right now, it'll probably be replaced before it is useless anyway.

I guess we can say it accepts 1080i signal but displays it at 1366 X 768.. Which of course is a waste of good input signal.

Exactly, and thats the problem with those TV's (with ALL tv's that dont have native 1080)! Because they have to downscale 1080p/i material and that looks REALLY (!!) bad. And they also upscale 720 material, because they dont even have a native 720 resolution. Down and Upscaling is NEVER good. Thats why I myself wouldnt buy a tv with 1366x768 for my personal use, expecialy if I intend to watch HD content!