When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3717 is dead. Where to find new movement

docdoc

Hello,

after 2 years of good service my 3717 has died so i am in search for a new 7750 movement. Anyone knows a good and cheap place to buy one? And i read that the a7750 and the valjoux7750 where not compatible. Does that mean that the hands of my actual 3717 would not fit a valjoux?

Tnahks in advance.

You can get a valjoux/eta 7750. Many of use have transplanted them in to our 3717s. The hands won't be a perfect fit to the valjoux pinions, but a watchsmith can make it work.

the problem is that i don't have any watchsmith rep friendly around me so i guess the answer is to find a new a 7750. But just out os curiosity what are you supposed to do to make the hands fit on a valjoux?

Is this movement would be a good candidate to replace my movement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Asian-7750-Satin-Chrono-6-9-12-White-day-date-/320534789136?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa15cbc10

Edited by docdoc

Hi

It really depends what you want to do.

You have quite some options there.

Either get a new A7750 28800 bph since it will be a direct fit for your version. (you can post a request in the forum) or buy them from a dealer. They will probably have them around, maybe concepta also has them, you have to ask for it.

The one you posted from ebay, if i am not mistaken it wont be a direct fit since it is a 21j, and therefore it use different hand sizes. What Chief was saying is that a watchmaker can adjust them for you. I dont know the exact measure here, but if i am not mistaken the chrono hand and the subdials have different sizes, some are too big and some are too small. They can either make it large or small to adjust to the correct size for you.

Another option is to by an ETA 7750 or an gen IWC 79320. Both will be more expensive and both will need either adjustment of hands or in alternative gen hands or if you can source then 21j hands will also work. Sometimes you can find them around in the watch parts section of this or other foruns.

The cheapest approach (in a short term) would be to post a request for a movement or contact dealers about it. There are quite some users that swapped movements, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get one. You course without servicing the new movement, you will never know how long will it last.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck for it.

regards

H.

Edited by Hugo Alves

Ok thanks for all the great advices. I saw the cousin movement and that was one of my option. Andy you can pm me with your price ( as i don't really know what i am supposed to ask) and i will let you know if i am ok with. The eta might be a little bit more expensive, but is it better to buy one eta for 5 years or 5 asian for 5 years or maybe more???

I highly recommend having it serviced. If you prefer a new A7750 there are a few options:

Ajoesmith (over on RepGeek) used to carry A7750 movements (he may still have some). I think his price was around $125.

Cousins UK also carries A7750 movements (PN: CH3LZF2M). They run around $131 (+ shipping).

If there's another, cheaper source, it would be great if someone would specifically identify it or post a link.