When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oiling the movement during the assembly?

Dear colleagues,

Do you know any video tutorials or video guides showing how to oil the parts of movement during the assembly? There many different oils which must be used in appropriate places and I am a bit lost.

I want to service, disassemble, clean, assemble and oil the A7750 movement myself.

Thanks in advance.

The ETA site just shows the assembly sequence and what oil to use where. Not how much or exactly how to place the oil. This would be too difficult to show in a video and the lubricants used are mostly transparent so you could not see them applied.

As Jkay said, this is a huge step for a Newbie. Servicing a watch is NOT like taking apart a lawnmower cleaning it up and putting it back together. You need to have massive amounts of patience, understanding how a watch works, and a ton of dexterity. Services watches is 60% mechanical and 40% artist.

If you have never serviced any watch movement before, you will become very discouraged very quickly working on Asian movements. They are very temperamental and subject to some pretty stupid anomalies that you just don’t see in the Swiss movements.

Read my post here: This was on one of my first A7750 movements and I had a Rolex Auth. Service guy looking over my shoulder.

I have since done 25+ A7750 movements and learned some thing different on each. I spent 3 hours reseting jewels on one movement because they were chocked every which way but right. I had another movement that would stop every time the chrono was engaged. Everything within the chono gear train was perfect. After about a hour of inspection it turn out to be the 60s chrono shaft support that is pressed into the main plate was chocked ever so slightly the it caused the 60 chono shaft/wheel to bind between the jewels that support it.

If you want to attempt working on movements, take a look at some of the online classes at TZ that start with your base pocket watch. Very simple, large parts and easy to work on. If you attempt a 7750 with little to no experience, you will just be sending the pieces out to The Zigmeister , myself or a few others around here with about $200+ asking us to fix it.

:drinks:

Guys, thanks for support and info,

Bike Mike, please update the link you provided in your post, it is not the right one.

Actually, the movement that I will try to disassemble and assemble is broken, so I have nothing to loose. I am in the process of ordering a new movement, but I would like to play with the old one, just for fun.

I feel I have what it takes to do it. I just have to order the right tools and with your wonderful support guys (as well as with the support of rwg forum) I think I will have loads of fun :)

I am also planning to make a video of disassembly and assembly process, so lets see ;)

cheers