When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Re-Finishing affect the value of a Rolex?

redwatch

As some of you may have seen, a friend of mine asked me to replace the battery in his 17013 Oysterquartz DateJust. It is up and running now and keeping excellent time. My friend was wondering if I could clean up the watch for him. I used a cape cod and a little sapphire polish on the crystal and it looks much nicer, but it still has a lot of little scratches and in some cases, little nicks in the case.

If I were to re-finish the case and bracelet, would that affect the value of the watch? There is no box or papers, which in my mind, would affect the re-sale value of the watch far more than re-finishing it. Am I thinking correctly here?

Would love some experts advice here.

Thanks!

I will defer to the experts but my rule is never refinish anything Rolex. And the funny thing is no one ruins a good old watch rather than the rolex service center. Swap out an l dial for a t, throw out that silver datewheel.... :lol:

+1

Never refinish Rolex. The real collectors seek out vintage pieces that have never been polished.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, Chief. I believe that most collectors will pay more for a properly refinished/restored watch (at right) than they will for an unpolished watch (at left)

clasp-outside.jpg

555endlinks-top.jpg

Again, the key is in doing the job right so the watch has its original lines & textures & does not look as if it has been (over-)polished. As long as you are detailed in your requirements (never assume anything), most RSCs can handle this without a problem.

I think what Chief wanted to emphasize was Vintage. If you were to refinish, or even replace everything worn or old in a vintage... it would never be the same, lest vintage again? Hence, i believe the value will drop rather than appreciate.

Refinishing a real vintage is liken to touching up the colors of a Van Gogh cos it faded a little over time... a bit more red here, a little bluer sky, couple more stars.... AHH.. Art collector suicide

I am no expert but I can tell you that "untouched" made a vintage piece I have worth an extra $2-3k.On vintage that is clearly the trend. The person loved the fact it hadn't been serviced in 20 years. Go figure. :lol:

Yep... no question about it. "Unpolished" and "untouched" is what vintage collectors want. Because it's rare. Nowadays it seems most pieces are RSC amalgamations, or worse, seller-created frankens made to look vintage. Unmolested, original owner pieces... NOT easy to find.

Unpolished, heavy bevel/chamfer lugs with flat, slab sides command the premium, no doubt. Gen vintage collectors would prefer a scratched up, never polished example over one that's seen a buffing wheel, no matter how shiney/mirrored the polishing results.

:)

The wonderful world of Rolex vintage... worn and uncared for commands the highest price tag. :bicycle:

Unpolished, heavy bevel/chamfer lugs with flat, slab sides command the premium, no doubt. Gen vintage collectors would prefer a scratched up, never polished example over one that's seen a buffing wheel, no matter how shiney/mirrored the polishing results.

:)

Sell me your white daytona in 15 years, mate! :lol: