When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP 5002 q's

jdkno

I just recieved my 5002. So far I like it alot and I am sure once I fix a few things I will like it alot better. Hopefully someone could provide a bit of info for me.

It seems as though the lug width is 22mm comparing it to my other watch with 22mm lugs. Is that correct or are my eyes playing tricks?

Anyone find a decent pilot strap that is readily available for a decent price?

It seems as though my deployant does not lock. The only think holding the strap closed really is the tail end of the strap going through the keepers. Is there any way to fix this?

For the PR do you just nudge the hand to the full mark with like a toothpick or something?

Grats on purchasing the 5002, it's one of my favorites and definitely a classic.

Lug width on the faux PR version should be 22mm, you are correct. Pilot straps can be purchased at many places... I would look directly at the sponsors here on the board and see if you can get one custom made for your wrist size. HKTAN does good work but sometimes it takes a while. You can also look into Gorilla and Red12 straps... both of these strapmakers make really nice pilot style straps.

Regarding the deployant, are you sure it doesn't click down? Sometimes it might take a little bit of elbow grease to get the audible "click" of the deployant. I wouldn't be happy with a faulty deployant. If you bought it from a dealer you should complain to see if they will send you a replacement one that works.

For the adjustment of the PR, you're right. It's a relatively easy mod, you need to know how to take off the caseback, remove the crown and slightly nudge the PR needle with a toothpick to full. Wait a bit after moving it though, because sometimes it settles back down and will need another nudge to move it to where you want it. Be careful of the O-Ring when reassembling your case, good luck!

I got the deployant to work last night, seems it does take a good bit of force to get the audible click so that's good. I am really liking the Gorilla strap, I e-mailed to see if they had any ready to ship. If so I am good if not I guess I will prepare myself for the long wait. I was hoping I could find something cheap for the interm while I wait for the Gorilla but finding something that will work with the deployant is proving next to impossible.

Thanks for the heads up on the PR fix. I am getting ready to tear into it right now. Wish me luck as I have completed far more difficult and managed to screw up far simpler so who knows.

You should be fine, the PR fix is a really easy fix... 30-60 minutes tops for those who don't know what they're doing. For the pros it's a 10 minute job. Just need to have some of the basic tools. Post some pics!

Well I hit a brick wall. I can't get the caseback off. My usual wad of duct tape won't even budge it and I don't have any other tools to use at the office with me so I guess this will turn into a weekend project.

Well I managed to get the casback open once I got home and had the right tools. So as an update I nudged the PR hand to the top, waited a min or so and as you noted dleerious it settled back down a bit. So I nudged it again to the top and waited a few seconds before I started putting it all back together. Somehow it must have settled again because as you can see in the below pic it is ever so slightly below the top line but it is close enough for me to not want to open the case up and do it again. While I had her open I also greased the O ring on the crown and caseback and added the slightest dab of lithium grease to the rotor bearings to quiet it down a bit. Here is the pic, sorry its quick and dirty but it gets the point across. This was the "lite" version as I was not sure how well I would like it so I bought the cheaper version and figured I could always have the crystal Double AR'ed by chief afterwards. It appears to have single AR on it even thought it does not appear so in the pics.

DSC01803.jpg

Now to the bad. While I had the case opened I noticed that as I unscrewed the crown from the tube there were gears moving during the unscrewing which I do not believe is normal. The next thing I noticed was there were no screws and tabs holding the movement to the spacer ring and the watch. I can see the holes for the screws and the notches in the spacer ring but no screws holding it in. It does not move surprisingly the movement was in the spacer so tight I removed them as a whole and the spacer fit the case so tight I had to almost pry it all out. Last thing I noticed which I may contact the dealer about. The movement, spacer, and case fit so tight there is no room for any of it to shift. If you look at the outer track of my dial, starting about 1:30 the track starts to pull away from the outside of the case. It looks like at about 8:45 it starts to get tight again. Is that par for the course or do you guys think I should see about getting a replacement dial?