When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding a 6263 DW Dial

wiesn089

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody has tried and actually succeeded in removing the red "Daytona" writing on a DW Dial (black) or if anybody has any idea how to do this?

I would love to have a black 6263 non-Daytona dial similar to this gen (?):

6263AWM.jpg

Actually I'm not quite sure if there's a gen equivalent, as I only seem to find white dial versions without the Daytona writing like here (the one pictured below as additional dial) or so called sigma dials(O T SWISS T O) like here or here.

I'm guessing if these non-Daytona T SWISS T dials are genuine they probably are replacement dials. What do you guys think?

Nonetheless I would be willing to accept the missing "sigma O's" in order to get rid of the red Daytona any tipps how I should proceed? Paint it over? Scraping it off seems no option...

Edited by wiesn089

As far as Oyster 6263 gens go, I have only ever seen sigma dials without the Daytona signature (earlier 62xx versions were made both ways - with or without the Daytona). I am certain they are out there, but the only aftermarket 62xx Daytona dials I have seen without the Daytona is the 1 in the middle, which I got from Honpo, who only sells to Japanese (or nearby Asian) buyers

012-2_2__tonemapped-1.jpg

Thanks Freddy, I was hoping you would answer.

It really does seem there have only been sigma dials without the Daytona lettering for the 6263s so my approach wouldn't be very accurate anyway. I was looking at some 6240 as well but all their dials have ROLEX COSMOGRAPH DAYTONA written underneath the coronet so that's a dead end also. I gave it a shot anyway and tried some things on a 6263 dial which had arrived already dirty and badly printed. I didn't mind destroying it further and this is the result:

dw6263nd01.jpg

It's not too bad from a distance, especially the part at the end where I applied little to no pressure with a needle. I'll try some more things in order to fix it up a little, but I don't think I will do this to my actual dial. Will have to wait for a sigma dial or an accurate 6240 I guess. :brow:

Or do you know a good source for these?