When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR capsule mod for Sinn U2

gtanak

Hi guys,

Not sure how popular the Sinn U2 is in RWG. I've just completed a Sinn U2 AR Capsule mod (The white button at 6 oclock) as a favor for a friend and decided while i'm at it, might as well make it into a Pictorial tutorial since i did something similar for this friend.

Photo of Gen

20081119154.jpg

Tools you will need are shown in pic below, well not everything but most. Others will be black paint, thinner and the usual clean up stuff.

sinntools.jpg

My friend's (Great U2 - as in Bono fan) watch

sinncb.jpg

Just a check to ensure the dealer sent a swiss ETA

sinneta.jpg

I will not bore you with how to strip a 2836-2.. i've seen couple of tutorials that are excellent in this forum. So on to the Rep Ar capsule

sinnorigin.jpg

With a sharp toothpick or end of plier, gently push the Ar capsule out from the bottom. Be careful cos this is projectile time. Then start filing using a very fine round file marked at 1.3mm diameter (Dun ask me why.. its days of precise calculation..)

sinnarfile.jpg

After filing.. there will be a ring of metal visible on the dial surface... not a pleasant sight... Use a blower and very fine brush/rodico to get rid of all the nasty metal filings

sinnafterfile.jpg

Remember the black paint? Use your finest oiler and get to work...I use matt black paint (quick dry) from your local DIY store. Smallest tin you can find

sinnarpaint.jpg

Close up shot.. it may seem a little rough but this is blown up and magnified... you can fine file the top surface but i have found this unnecessary after painting.

sinnarzoom.jpg

Remember that little white button? Hope you still have it. Cos stick on some glue round the back of the hole you filed and stick on the button. Use pliers cos its ~1.6mm diameter only.

sinnarback.jpg

I leave you with the finished product... Note the inside of the hole is stainless steel and outside ring is black like in the gen photo. much more gen looking U2 i'd say. Taken with my phone... my D90 batt died on me.

85ed12c0.jpg

And folks. That's it. Pls PM any questions etc. Cheers! Hope this helps - my way of giving back

great job mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

but you know what :) i relay like the rep with this flaw, for me it looks good eather way

but you did a great job on this one

B)

Hey Deniz,

For me the U2 is a fantastic rep otb. Even if you do not relume... you owe it yerself to at least do this AR mod and complete the gen look. Otherwise it'll always be a cheap white button sticking out (like a sore thumb literally!) I'd actually wear this into an AD and not be worried they'll call me out. Unless there's a blackout but then again, my U2 is lumed like gen or brighter so.. it'll be a torch :)

Wear if proud!

Thanks for the reply and support guys. If you ever do decide to carry out this mod yourself, do be careful especially with the filing and the painting. And always do this mod before reluming or sending for reluming. Always have the dial secured well.

Cheerios!

G

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating with another pic of another AR mod completed. Photo is taken with Iphone till focus limit so i dun think anyone looks at their watch this closely! If you do, you should wear a clock! :p Hope Ash doesn't mind me posting photo of his dial... You can refer to photo of gen in 1st page.

2c4953b4.jpg

I'm almost done writing up a complete tutorial, if you are interested, just shoot me a PM with your email titled Ar mod tutorial pls.

Do note that recent batches of Sinn U2s are shipping with a really horrid painted on Ar button which is too big to drill a hole and no plastic white button to mod. Do check with your dealer before ordering.

Cheers

TanG

• 1 month later...