When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I couldn't buy another canal rep

gtanak

Hey guys, just back from the canal shops in shanghai. MAN I can never buy another canal rep after spending 3 hrs there looking at hundreds of watches.

Everything is so way off I can't justify paying even $30 for any watch there except as a base or for donor parts. Finally saw a UPO Not sure which version, seller cost is $30 and was trying to sell for $70. Then asked for a top gun 3789 with A7750, his cost 2kRMB and he wanted 2.5kRMB. I know his cost to his distributor cos I peeked at his MSN chat window with his factory.

I say, stick to our dealers here even for crap reps, you seriously dunno the combos of canal reps I saw today.. Shocking!

The selling prices your dealer announced doesn't seem way too high for me. If that's his first offer, he will surely expect some haggling.

In the mediterranen countries, the "beach ADs" (...) usually start with 120 to 150 euros for absolutely crappy reps that probably cost them about 10. I once offered 35 after his initial "150" and he looked at me like I was totally stupid... "It's automatic!"... oh, really? Gosh! rolleyes.gif Then he followed me around the market about half an hour, always reducing the price... 100... 80... 60... OK, come on, 50.... finally after half an hour: OK, OK, 35, you got it. Haha, so he's still making profit at 35, that's for sure. Dunno how many stupid tourists buy those crappy reps for 150 euros... black_eye.gif

so he's still making profit at 35, that's for sure. Dunno how many stupid tourists buy those crappy reps for 150 euros... %7Boption%7D]

Well I don't think they are stupid at all... just don't know the market, If you don't know the market then its just ignorance... Before I came here I bought a few canel street reps for about $40 a pop back in the early 00's... which to be honest was ok, the watch never died on me and quality was good (although after visiting this site have come to see so many aesthetic differences that its pretty funny). But all in all where can you by a Automatic watch, with good quality finish (sometimes a Rolex box), good links, that runs for what seems forever, and fools friends at the same time?

I still have one or two of my first canal street buys and they are solid beaters for around $40 not bad I would say? And to be honest if I hadn't stumbled on this site I'd still be very happy with them

You're right, the problem is, they don't know the market. But it's common sense to get at least a bit informed before you buy something like a rep watch from a market dealer, or isn't it? It's a huge difference if you buy a rep for $40 or 150 euros, which is obviously totally overprized. But each to their own, doesn't mean you can't be happy with a buy, even if you paid way too much for it. Sure you can.

I also had another experience on one of those markets: An old American lady approached one of the rep dealers and looked at a "bling bling" breitling rep. The dealer announced his 150 euros and the old lady answered "Look, I come here every year and I always buy a Breitling. For 10 years now. I never paid more than 40 euros." Everyone around had heard that of course and suddenly there was quite a lot of interest in the dealer's watches... He finally sold the Breitling for 40 euros - and I believe his show was over for the day. rofl.gif

Cheers,

Whatever.

P.S.: I like your avatar...

hahaha thanks I like her too!!!

Of course your right about the "common sense to get at least a bit informed before you buy something like a rep watch from a market dealer, or isn't it" but I kind of know the feeling of being on vacation and finding a market stall of exotic watches or other overpriced stuff (although I always try to at least half the price, with variable outcomes) and you just get carried away, I think if the new owner uses the watch for a good few years never finds out its true value and in general enjoys the "overpriced" watch then 120 Euro is ok... I'm sure Milton Friedman could have written a book on that one store supply and demand and free markets etc... (of course Friedman would be on the side of the store keeper)...