When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Old one

DickBrowne

I've been looking for this one for a while, I've no idea why I didn't just buy one from a dealer, but part of the thrill is in the hunt, I guess.

After seeing so many pictures of vintaged SM300's on this and other forums, I really wanted one, this came up a week or so back, and I went for it without thinking - I've missed a few in that "hesitation" period between wanting and buying.

By nature I'm fairly cautious and just pulling the trigger was a little alien to me, and I've spent the last week or so worrying about what I may have bought. yesterday, it arrived and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with it:

SM300.jpg

The Nato was mine, and I was goingto pop it ont oa grey/black striped one, but think the green looks fine. I may give the other combo a go, just to make sure.

The only thing I'm going to change is the bezel, it's a little over-done for me - does anybody know where I can get a replacement bezel for this watch? I was aware that it was quite battered from the sales thread, and always planned to change it, so it came as no surprise or dissapointment.

After that, it's down to my traditional aging method - a week in a pocket with my keys and loose change, which gives any metal object an interesting, authentic and randon collection of chips, gouges and scratches. I was initially made aware of this aging method when I discovered an "authentically aged" iPhone in my pocket after a tube journey across London :)

Enjoy it, and if you know of a good bezel source, please let me know.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the kind words, Teejay, I am heartily impressed with it, if I can't find an insert I'm not going to worry too much, it doesn't look as bad in the flesh, but I would like to change it if I can.

Any time :good::drinks: Give it 24 hours, and see how you feel about the insert, it might grow on you :) If not, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the direction of a suitable insert :)

Quite a beauty and certainly one for the ages - congrats! Vintage is really my main passion. I'm a bit concerned about that bezel, though. Here's why: I thought that SM300s had perspex or acrylic/resin style bezels which were back filled with lumed paint and then painted black on the underside. The bezel was made as a one piece unit and there is no replacement 'insert' as the whole bezel has to be replaced. With this setup, when the bezel scratched it was clear, so as not to degrade the numbers or business bit of the bezel. On your version it appears to have a painted aluminum insert that's seen some defacement, thus removing the numbers. I've no idea how it got this way unless someone used some sort of solvent to remove the old acrylic insert and put this machined piece in there.

That all said, I may be talking out my you-know-what and not be completely up on vintage Omega SM300s, but do a little research and you'll find at least your answer, if not a new bezel!

I'm assuming you bought this as a gen, right? Perhaps a rep bezel will pop right on! Wouldn't that be great!

good luck

chris

I think I was confused. This is completely a rep, right?

Yes, but, to be fair, you're seeing it at its best angle! Viewed head-on and at real-world distances, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

[censored]: I think it looks fine, but have you experimented to see what happens to the bezel with a bit of a Polywatch polish?

EDIT: Mr. Browne's name is censored? That's hilarious!

Ah yes, the name thing - I get that a lot :)

It's definitely a rep, and was priced and bought as one, I was under no illusions as to the authenticity or condition, and I do love it on the Nato.

The bezel looks like somebody has taken wire wool to it for the aged effect, but the result is that it's gone down to the metal underneath - it's just paint over aluminium.

As suggested, I'm going to give it some wrist time and see where I go with it.

I did have an email some time back when I was looking for the watch from a guy who thinks that the SM300 was issued to the Israeli Air Force, does anybody know if that is right? I can see the Israeli Navy having them, but issuing pilots with divers watches would call component quality of airplanes into question for me :)