When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

202/A dial: matte or satin finish?

prdubis

Hi there!

I plan to refinish my 202/A dial from FGD and would like to varnish it.

Should I use a matte varnish, or a satin one? I've heard gen 201/A dial finish was more satin than matte, is it the same for the 202/A?

Thank you for your help!

I think it looks beautiful as is and I wouldn't F with it

I know The Zigmeister does some beautiful varnishing on Simon's dials but if you don't have the right varnish or in most cases the right airbrush to apply it you can get globules and specs of coating that will be visable in the finish

I had Rex varnish my beautiful 201A dial ONLY because there were some visable hairline scratches in the finish and a sort of black smudge spot in it from changing owners hands 2 or 3 times and getting some unintentional travel abuse. I sent him a can of Tamiya TS-90 as many who have done it say that it has the best finest flow and most accurate finish and works best if you don't have an airbrush

Were there no handling abuse on the dial I never would have touched it though. It has The Zigmeister's tritium lume and is I believe a 1st gen Simon dial

Unless you are going to have Zig do it I would leave it as is, looks beautiful and I call dibs if you ever sell it!!