When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

second attempt at modding my Top Gun's side logo

burnz

spurred on by my first attempt in repainting the Top Gun's side logo, i went on the hunt this morning for a closer match to the side logo's color on the gen which has somewhat of a slight gold-ish tinge instead of being pure metallic silver.

still, i couldn't find any readily available color code that is a close enough match to the gen, so i ended buying a metallic copper paint to mix with the silver paint i used in my first attempt.

after some trial&error experimenting with different concentrations of paint mixtures, this is what i came up with. fairly happy, think it's probably 85-90% there.. what do you guys reckon?

gen pics for comparison:

3253-IWC2.jpg

V1, Gen & V2 comparison pic (courtesy of ToroBravo and Takashi):

perfiliwc.jpg

my 1st attempt with just silver paint:

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

my 2nd attempt with mixture of silver paint and copper paint:

DSC01881.jpg

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

Sweet bro... Can you do it for me, please? :)

<br><br>no problem.. i can bring the paint down to A's next time we meet up and do it on the spot.. so you can see and decide what paint mixture concentration you like most before applying the paint..

just throw in some free smokes and kopi :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Bro.. have you tried the hobby shops selling plastic models? They have a wide range of tamiya colors and i know there is gun metal color.. Its very nicely done but from certain angle, the copper redness shows... maybe mix your silver with gun metal?

Bro.. have you tried the hobby shops selling plastic models? They have a wide range of tamiya colors and i know there is gun metal color.. Its very nicely done but from certain angle, the copper redness shows... maybe mix your silver with gun metal?

yes sir, those hobby shops will be my next stop..

i know what you mean about the copper redness, especially under direct sunlight.. i might try again later this afternoon, up the silver content with minimal copper just to achieve a slight tinge... wish me luck :)

btw, i did see gun metal color paint in the shop i was at today.. but that's actually still not as close as i would've liked.. t

he closest i found was this pewter color, but unfortunately it was out of stock.. so perhaps i'll wait a couple of weeks till new stocks are in and try out the pewter..

btw, i did see gun metal color paint in the shop i was at today.. but that's actually still not as close as i would've liked.. t

he closest i found was this pewter color, but unfortunately it was out of stock.. so perhaps i'll wait a couple of weeks till new stocks are in and try out the pewter..

Why me loves the community on here! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

<br><br>no problem.. i can bring the paint down to A's next time we meet up and do it on the spot.. so you can see and decide what paint mixture concentration you like most before applying the paint..

just throw in some free smokes and kopi :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'll bring mine too :D

using tamiya model gun metal paint... still not the desired color :(

DSC01903.jpg

couple more gen pics i found.. now looks to be a matt grey-ish color.. not so silvery or metallic...

off to the hobby shop again tomorrow for a better paint match!

TG.jpg

TG2.jpg

You guys are so cool! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Great jobs guys. Yeah the colour seems to be on the copper/gun metal side of things......I havnt seen the gen. Burnz I think your second attempt is a little too coppery?......Can you re-do it? Or do you have to go over with white paint then try again? :g: