When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OEM hands - hole too big for cannon pin?

Brodie

Anyone with gen PAM hands have any problems mounting on a 6497 movement (H3 cannon pin)? The minute hand that I have seems to drop straight through the cannon pin (i.e. the hole is slightly too large). So there's no option to press them on and if you turn the movement over it falls right off. I'll probably have to glue them on carefully somehow.

I tried the same hand on two other movements and had the same problem. In comparison I also tried rep hands, Fu hands, and DSN hands and they all fit fine so it's definitely something funny with this OEM hand. Based on the fit, finish, and packaging of the hands when I received them, I trust they are genuine hands so not sure what's up with them.

Hmmmm... How loose is the hand when you go to fit it to the pinion?

Maybe possible that you have a set of hands for the automatic (i.e. OPIII based on the V7750)? Kind of a stretch, but the 6497's minute hand is 115; the V7750's is 120. If you have a digital caliper and can mic it, that might clear it up pretty quickly.

I'm under the presumption that the hour hand fits okay?

If the hand is indeed for the manual and the hole is just a little big, you can probably have it reduced using a collet...

EDIT: The 6497 and 7750 hour hands are the same size (2mm/200), so if you did have a set of hands for an auto, the hour hand would actually fit.

6497:

115/200/27

7750:

120/200/26

Edited by ubiquitous
additional content added.

Thanks ubi. Yes the hour hand fits or at least stays on. The minute hand does not and is completely loose. Plops right on and falls right off if you turn the movement over. Unfortunatlely I don't have digital calipers and I'm checking with the seller again just to be sure what I got. Don't think it's a lost cause and in the end I can probably get it to work with some modification but just wanted to see ifthis was common before I started anythng.