When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tube dimensions...

swdivad

Can some of you guys give me some input on dimensions to make Luminor manual winding case tubes?

I have this beautiful 203A case all waiting to go together, but I need a new tube, as the one on it is trashed :thumbdown:

I need to confirm for the CNC machinist and to make a drawing for him.

If needed here, I will make a bunch of them and sell them here if you guys think it's a necessary item.

I measured a bunch a while back, did some plans, and made up some tubes. You really need to custom build each one to the case, crown and crown guard you are combining. Also genuine crowns with o-rings on the crown need a smooth bore tube, as opposed to the rep style, where the o-rings are inside the tube. (and the crown shaft is smooth)

Also not all genuine crowns are the same, I've got 4-5 here and they are all different diameters inside and different offsets.

I do not currently have a lathe or I'd make one up for you, but I can dig around and try to find the various measurements I used if it helps. I did find that each tube really had to be made over length and test fitted, then recut to get the crown offset, and hence the locking point of the CG correct. Due to the rebate in the case where the tube sits, and the shaping of the CG mounting point it really isn't practical to get perfect measurements before you start.

I made mine using a cheap chinese mini lathe, however this was only just accurate enough for the job, you really need minimum of a Sherline or similar with a collet chuck to do the job properly.

I measured a bunch a while back, did some plans, and made up some tubes. You really need to custom build each one to the case, crown and crown guard you are combining. Also genuine crowns with o-rings on the crown need a smooth bore tube, as opposed to the rep style, where the o-rings are inside the tube. (and the crown shaft is smooth)

Also not all genuine crowns are the same, I've got 4-5 here and they are all different diameters inside and different offsets.

I do not currently have a lathe or I'd make one up for you, but I can dig around and try to find the various measurements I used if it helps. I did find that each tube really had to be made over length and test fitted, then recut to get the crown offset, and hence the locking point of the CG correct. Due to the rebate in the case where the tube sits, and the shaping of the CG mounting point it really isn't practical to get perfect measurements before you start.

I made mine using a cheap chinese mini lathe, however this was only just accurate enough for the job, you really need minimum of a Sherline or similar with a collet chuck to do the job properly.

Wow! Thanks for that info Logan...

Yes, it seems there are too many variables to make these in production.

I have a tube I will try from the supplier of this case, but I'm not sure if it will be the right measurements.

I'm also worried about the case tube hole in the case.

When I got the case, the tube was all marred and crappy at the crown face... now after taking the tube out... the bore is also quite marred and crappy

On top of that, the face

So... in the end, I don't know if I'm going to need a whole new case and crown for this to work :black_eye: