When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Refinished my Genuine 219J CG yesterday! And now on one of my 2 antique brown Gators

tanya

Refinished my Genuine 219J CG yesterday! And now on one of my 2 antique brown Gators

Refinished my genuine 219J CG yesterday.

Though the watch was as new mint when I got it and very very lightly worn be me, the CG came with more of a polished finish with very faint brush strokes in it. I think they call it a nailhead finish?

Either that or it was an example of Panerai's sometimes doubious final finishing reputation and the CG never recieved it's proper brushing.

In any event, proper or not, it always bothered the sh$t out of me and as an ahole nitpicker I could never enjoy the watch.

I have refinished and glue fixed a dozen V and LH CG's to great success but I was afraid to touch the gen because the lever pin in gen's is ever so slightly recessed. NO NOT FLAT AND FLUSH! That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong for a gen CG and in my mind if you have good eyes a pretty obvious tell. If I read another post comparing a refinished CG to a gen becuase you got the lever pin flat and flush I'm going to scream.

So, afraid that I couldn't get the pin back to it's proper slightly recessed position, I asked THE!!! refinishing expert here or on any other forum, Brobert, his opinion on the matter and I decided to give it a try.

The CG body turned out perfect with a good 10 minute scotchbrighting.

I also ran the lever pin head on a very soft dremel pad with jewelers rough to give it's slighly dull mirror finish a brand ass new showcase gloss mirror finish

Now came the scarry part. Getting that damn pin back in to just below the hole line without scratchiing up my work.

I pushed the pin into the CG body and then pressed it against a hard flat kitchen coutertop and suprise suprise it must be some kind of magic or the shape of the lever hole but the pin actually reset itself slightly recessed. Maybe a butthair off of where it was but it is definately slightly recessed below the hole

Then to further enhance it's new from the factory look I popped on one of my Antique Brown Gators

My new favorite watch of the day!

IMG00435-20100704-1050.jpg

IMG00434-20100704-1049.jpg

IMG00433-20100704-1049.jpg

IMG00432-20100704-1048.jpg

IMG00431-20100704-1048.jpg

IMG00430-20100704-1047.jpg

IMG00429-20100704-1047.jpg

Very nice. It looks good but you are too funny. Assuming the whole watch is a gen. Just get a new cg and either save the old one for another project or sell it. :D

Yes the whole watch is gen purchesed from Brucie boy at 24seven, but there is no AD in this godawful town of Fresno I now live in Warren.

And I am pretty good at rebrushing and polishing so rather than sending it out I figured I'd give it a go

Not sure how much of a demand there would be for a slightly used but mint genuine lefty rollerball cg?