When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello from Houston

LDB

Just found a link to your forum on the fountain pen network forum. My favorite uncle was a watchmaker in Dallas. He also made jewelry with lost wax casting and did hand engraving. I'd watch him working on watches and found it fascinating. I really like watches but have a near zero budget for them. I've never wanted a Rolex although if given one I'd appreciate it and enjoy it. I like Tag and Omega, some of them that is, as well as some of the Victorinox and Luminox watches.

I need something with a very recessed crystal because I tend to get scratches and scuff marks far too easily. Any suggestions for a good suspect list of watches? Any suggestions of where to find good pricing either online or in b/m stores? I travel a lot for work, especially in the area bounded by Houston, Atlanta, Cleveland and Indianapolis and that's all by personal vehicle not by plane. Any/all advice/hints/suggestions/tips/etc. will be definitely appreciated.

Welcome! not sure what a b/m store is. A lot of the watches you will notice are the opposite, rearing their crystals outwards like ape's flaunting their chest size. There are a lot of really nice TAG and Omega reps out there. For you, I might suggest a Planet Ocean from Reg on the boards here. Dealer name is Narikaa. Won't run you but about one Franklin. Nice starter watch, or a submariner from him, about the same price.

If you want to look into either the planet ocean or submariner, search for the terms POrikaa and noobmariner. Those are the nicknames for both of those.

Here's my 42mm POrikaa on leather and bracelet, all from Reg.

IMG_1249.jpg

SDC12324.jpg

Crystals aren't very protected nowadays.

IMG_1247.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I haven't seen many watches that fit your description. Like P4GTR says, most crystals are either raised or flair out. The first one that comes to mind might be something from B.R.M. (Bernard Richards Manufacture Racing Watch). Their watches have roots in motorsports; MotoGP, Formula 1, etc.. They do appear to have a slightly recessed crystal and are fairly substantial at 44mm x 12mm. It's been a long time since I've handled a gen B.R.M. so I may be wrong on the crystal. Joshua has nice reps of them ranging from $98.00 - $108.00. A few have working chronograph movements. Check out the B.R.M. website and compare to Joshua's offerings. They appear to be pretty accurate. A B.R.M. chronograph is definitely on my short list. Hope this helps. You can find Joshua's page in the links section. The UPO (Ultimate Planet Ocean) is awesome! Mine hasn't left my wrist since its arrival. (Photo is of a gen watch but thought a little eye candy was in order)

post-29026-043510900 1278332801.jpg

You're most welcome. I think they're pretty sweet! If you do end up getting a B.R.M., post some wristies! I haven't seen any on the forums so you might be the first. The great thing about B.R.M. is that they have SO many variations and custom options that I don't see how you could ever be called out on a rep.

That BRM watch is really nice looking. I'll have to track that down for a look. Thanks.

Love that BRM. I've never heard of it until you shared it, thanks Sprocket. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen any on the forum. Wonder why they aren't more popular? You should check out the actual B.R.M. website. It's a playground for watch fanatics! Well, B.R.M. fanatics anyway.