When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shippping for member to member sale

treylee

Just my 2 cents worth, but have some thoughts about shipping watches.

1. pack it in a Box, securely padded with bubble wrap and packing peanuts.

2. If shipping to the USA, don't try to hide it inside something. X-ray machines can see right through hollowed out teddy Bears. If it gets caught, to Customs folks, it becomes a case of trying to hide something coming through. Good chance the buyer in the USA will not only not get his watch, he will be flagged in the computer and every package with his name and/or address will be scrutinized.

3. Ship by Registered mail, International Priority (EMS) or Express mail if you can afford it and the buyer wants it in a hurry. DO NOT use FedEx, UPS, DSL, etc. they all have their own customs clearing and they will charge the buyer customs duties based on the value of the genuine. IF it's obviously a counterfeit, they may confiscate it.

4. Do not use the word "Watch" on the customs declaration. Use terms like timepiece, horological instrument, etc.

5.You might declare it as "broken timepiece for repair and return to sender"

6. Make sure that you and the buyer have a very clear understanding that you will do everything possible to get his watch safely to him, but should it not arrive, customs, duties and postal losses, etc. are his responsibility. If a buyer balks at this, I would not go forward with the sale. Dealers can afford to lose a certain percentage in customs, theft, whatever, they have access to thousands of watches at wholesale prices. Some loss is just a part of doing business. If you ship overseas with a guarantee of safe delivery, if something happens, the buyer wants either a watch or his money back. In either case, you're out your watch and the money as well.

Lots of individuals will not ship to other countries, as they are unwilling to assume the risks and hassle of overseas shipping.

I'm sure lots of folks on this forum and others will disagree with me about these thoughts. You may get away with sending tons of watches all over the world, shipping them inside a toy, wrapped with one layer of bubble wrap and inside a soft envelope, but sooner or later, your going to lose one in customs. All I'm trying to do is decrease the odds that your's gets caught.

Hope this helps a little

• 7 months later...

I appreciate this advice a great deal. I've yet to sell anything, but now I have a pretty clear picture of what (not) to do. Copied to a word document on my desktop! Thanks again, Panerai153!