When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Claiming for lost items

arniezac

Has anybody made a successful claim with Royal Mail for lost parcels sent within the UK .

I've just downloaded the claim form P58 which needs to be filled in and sent off to RM,

however, one piece of information that they require, for a refund to be granted, is origional proof of the items value, like a till receipt.

To clarify, this item was sold by me to a member, not an item I am waiting on, from one of our collectors.

Thing is, the item that has been lost was a rep piece, and we tend not to get bills of sale from our collectors.

I can't prove what its value is, let alone divulge to Royal Mail what it is either.

So basically, it won't matter if you've sent a

jst check the small print - sure it says cash and jewllery not covered - watch prob counts as jewllery if they want it too.... ?

Good point, thing is, whats the point in paying extra for a premium delivery service, if you can't get your money back if they lose your

package. Not everyone keeps receipts for even legitimate items that they send through the post.

The fact is, 'they lost' a parcel which you paid a postage charge on which covers upto a certain value, should the postal company fail in their job. The postal company know they lost it, because it was a recorded delivery, and they know it has not been delivered.

I think the compensation should be paid out, regardless of what was sent or the value, as Royal Mail failed in a task which you paid them to do.

This is the first time its happened to me and probably the last too, and its fortunate that what I sent did not have a high value.

I have been told by my local Post Office that watches and jewellery (and even watch parts) are NOT covered. I did once make a claim for some guitar strings missing in the post that I had sent to a customer, fortunately I had the Invoice of course and they paid out "as a goodwill gesture"! Paying premium delivery just makes the chances better that the parcel won't go missing. However that is the only thing I've had go missing in many years of sending and receiving stuff through the mail home and abroad with the exception of sending to South Africa which I won't do any more. My relatives there just have to wait till I visit for any presents due!!