When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Railmaster

DickBrowne

I was at a watch event today and tried on a genuine Ralmaster, it was the XXL version and lovely, but maybe just a little too big - it's supposed to be a subtle watch, not screaming "look at me!"

Having tried it on, I'd like a smaller one, but I'm not sure where to get one from, I've seen lots of reps, but most of them are pretty bad reps.

My list of must-haves are...

Manual with display back -or- auto with the steam-train back

Sub seconds

Brown strap - leather or croco

Not massively expensive

Shouldn't be too difficult, does anybody have any suggestions where I might find one?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by DickBrowne

As far as I know, the small version has the steam-train back, and is expensive. The large manual wind version however is not.

The large version also has the sub seconds dial and the small version doesnt.

The railmaster is one of the unsung heroes of the rep world, if you get the 39mm (no decent 42mm exists) and get the right one it is from the front 99% perfect only when you see the movement the game is given away as it would with any watch with a display back.

The railway back is only available in gold to the best of my knowledge.

The XXL would be given away with the display back as well.

I had a 39mm version for years until i sold it on and it was a solid performer!

There are two versions though josh appears to have the better of the two.

What you could do is get the gold one and get it stripped back the SS

To summarise, if I want a manual, it's got to be a big one? The auto is sometimes gold, sometimes SS, but all movements are a long way from the gen in terms of appearance, and if I want to cover it up, it's got to be a gold one.

It's not looking hugely positive, is it :)

It's not looking hugely positive, is it :)

Veeery positive:

wcomegarailmaster1.jpg

omegarailmaster1.jpg

I like! :lol:

The seethrough caseback would be a giveaway if you took it off and handed over to somebody. Since it's such a great watch why would you take it off? :)

I have mine from Precious Time and I can wholeheartedly recommend it!

Val.

That is lovely Val, I'm seeing the better of the two smaller reps (with the silver-coloured rotor) for around $350, and I'm wondering if Andy's advice may be sound. I'd rather not have a display back, but I don't like gold watches.

I'm thinking carefully about this before jumping, but wonder if the Railmaster may be my next gen purchase. I know, it's going to be a little embarrasing if I get caught wearing a gen, but it's a chance I'm willing to take :)

sorry I'm not convinced about being called out with a display case back.

I got mugged on ebay with a tag fake. (display back) It is a fantastic copy I must admit and two tag jewelers could'nt spot the minor flaws in the watch. The movement looks identical to the gen. This same watch can be bought from connie at king watch , she also sells the railmaster I linked you earlier. If you email her for better pics she is very helpfull. though I agree with others the railmaster you will not get the correct movement in a rep.

post-22488-040451700 1280173972.jpg

post-22488-069050400 1280173987.jpg

post-22488-007601500 1280174132.jpg

Maybe not with a TAG but the railmaster uses a coaxial 2500 calibre, in essence a modified 2892 and even my 11yr old daughter can tell you the differences between that and a 2824 and the difference in the finish is very visible between even the nicest 2824s i have seen.

Getting "caught out" isn't a massive concern, if I'm honest - most people can't spot a rep even if you give them the pointers. It's more a personal satisfaction thing. I know my reps are reps and love some of them as much as I love some of my gens. The gold-coloured movements really don't do it for me, the silver coloured ones are getting onto the expensive side for a rep, with an uplift of funds, it would be close enough to a used gen to make me at least consider that route.

I've got a number of chrono reps from my earlier rep days where the chrono dials are day/date rather than proper chrono functions, nobody has ever called me out on any of them and I think they are pretty obvious.

So, it's a personal satisfaction thing, if I'm being honest.

BTW, and a little OT, Andy, do you ride a motorbike? I was at a ride-out yesterday and saw a bike with the perfect number plate for you, if it wasn't you (and I don't think it was as I spent quite some time chatting to the owner, trying to see his watch, making sure mine was visible to prompt discussion) then I'll reveal the number. Don't want to do it if it was, you never know who's listening :whistling:

Nice Harley! I've got a BMW 1100 personally, but I'm thinking about swapping it out for a classic or a cruiser.

Oddly enough, the chap I saw (with the reg FX 07 NDY, btw - not really a vanity plate, but could be interpreted in a FX® (A)NDY way... Maybe?) was riding a Kawasaki VN 900, which is a "rep" of your Harley :bicycle:

Ah, irony, you gotta love it!