When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Watches and the Philippines

Jaymoi

Hey All,

Haven't really been active on here for ages, however, some of you may know me from the past!

I am moving to the Philippines in a month, (a place called Davao) for good; and was wondering if anyone knew if they had a reputation for providing the same quality reps as we see from the dealers on this board?

I do know that fairly near by there is a China-Town, and also i know there is a mall (don't know if it is the china-town mall) that is so large that it takes you 4 days to walk through it!!

If anyone knows anything in regards to the Philippines, and high quality reps, please post here! For who knows, i might open up a very decently priced service, in the near future.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Jay

Hi Jay...

I don't know much about Davao, but have some relatives there....check this for some info about Davao!

In Metro Manila, there's a suburb called GreenHills and there's a Mall there that has a Huge Rep market of everything (similar to MBK in Bangkok)in the lower level. Most of the REPs are Shirts (Polo, Lacoste, etc.), Hand Bags/purses (Channel, LV, etc.) and shoes (remember, this is Imelda Marcos country - you have to have shoes :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) .....and some of them are pretty good quality! But watches, all of them (those that I have seen)are JUNK.....

BTW: If you are WHite (or is that Anglo/Saxon?), you will stand out in Davao......please be carefull, there's some reported kidnappings there of Foreigners. Davao is part of Mindanao which is part of the Philippines in the South that have been having (for a long time) problems with Abu SAyyaf/Al Quaida elements. This is one part of the country I haven't visited for this reason, but I heard it's really beautiful. Just watch your back.

I would recommend checking out Palawan Island, Dumaguete in Negros Oriental....and if you dive, don't miss Apo Island, Panglao in Bohol, Moalboal in Cebu, Coron Island and Tubbataha in Palawan. Pagudpud in Luzon is also beautiful with a side visit to Vigan...one of the oldest cities in the Philippines. There's white water rafting and hiking in Tabuk (Chico River), Kalinga....good to try if you have the time....

Anyho, hope this helps! I know it's way off REPS, but I thought something you should know. PM me if need more info!

F-

Hey Hike,

First off, thanks for the detailed overview of some of the places to check out, the info is really helpful, seeing as i intend on having an adventure whilst there! :)

As for the REP scene... that really sucks. Oh well, apparently China is only 4 hours away, and if i do decide to maybe offer a service of selling watches over here (custom orders, etc.) then i might definitely be worth my while to fly to China every fortnight or so. Especially seeing as i'd sell the watches to you guys for dirt cheap (none of this 100% mark-up the "Cartel" does, or anything) ;).

As for the race issue, i have been told by my Caucasian business partner (who moved there ahead of me, 2 months ago) that the particular area we are in is very safe. Apparently our place is 5 doors down from the mansion belonging to the mayor's son. So even the road we live on is VERY well protected.

Not to mention that we both have body-guards over there (who double up as chauffers). All in all, i think we will be pretty safe. But thank you, and i will certainly exercise as much caution as needed whilst over there. :)

Thanks again, and thanks for the offer to pester you for more info via PM, i will definitely take you up on that offer!

Jay

Hey George!

Haha, no. I was born and bred in England (mostly West Sussex and a bit of London). I am assuming you thought i was French because of the "Moi" in "Jaymoi"? If so, it is simply a nick-name i acquired (and as a consequence had tattooed onto my arm, and now "Jaymoi" is no longer my nick-name, doh!)a few years ago. It is just a silly twist on my real name, Jaymie (as "Moi" = "Me", of course). :)

There are many reasons for moving to the Philippines... but without writing a dissertation on every single reason why, i will give you the overview:

For the last 1.5 years i have been living in the US (mostly LA, but some Florida). I now have an American fiancee, and we intend to marry at some point next year. However i cannot legally stay within the US any longer, they simply won't allow me to extend my visitors visa. Therefore we made the decision (my Fiancee, and my business partner) to all move to the Philippines. My business partner and i have an SEO and marketing based company, where we are hired by other companies to promote their site and get them ranked on the first pages of search engines. We outsource most of our labor from the Philippines (where a top-notch programmer and internet marketer will earn $250 a month, working full time). We currently have 12 full-time employees over there, so we thought it would be clever to move over there, for the forseeable future, to manage everything and push things up to the next level.

Not to mention that every $1 = 45 pesos over there! A 1 hour session with a personal trainer costs a mere $4 or so! A bodyguard costs $250 a month! Tipping 50 cents at a restaraunt is considered decent! We rent a 5 bedroom mansion (which doubles up as our office) for $110o per month, and that includes all bills and a 3 day a week maid/cleaner.

With the savings i have currently, i am already the equivalent of a millionaire over there!

I simply want a nice quality of life, in a hot country that has plenty to offer, with the potential and the financial freedom to have a lot of fun, whilst building up what looks to be a very profitable company.

That's about it, in a nut-shell. :p

Jay

Thanks for the input Jay -

beeing also self-employed for about a decade i know you have

to take risks sometimes for running your business and surviving :)

With all the infos you gave, Hikes advice "watch your back" sounds

now even more reasonable to me...

All the best to you!

George

Good luck Jaymoi, a Filipina friend gave me this advice. "Yes, it can be dangerous but act your size, listen and learn and should be not much problem".

By act your size, I assume she meant don't take any crap.

Good luck and will be interested to hear how it pans out for you.

Please post back and Ingat ka palagi.