When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO Safari

jebus

Hey guys - new to this hobby (only a couple of reps to my collection) and website but I'll get on with my question:

I want to get the AP ROO Safari. Here's what it should look like:

gallery_356_0.772.png

Do you guys think this is worth getting? As in, have they done enough versions of it to have any kinks ironed out, and is it considered a model of which there are accurate reps etc?

I also hear the asian 7750 movement may not have much lasting power as a seconds@12 due to gears getting worn etc. I'm not too keen on spending $500 on a watch that lasts a few months and cost several hundred dollars to replace! There is also some drama about the datewheel and the dial colour - think I'm gonna need some guidance here...

Anyway, I've found the watch at these websites:

$478 - http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/royal-oak-offshore-ultimate-ss-safari-update/

AP-2008-10-23-02-02_enl.JPG

$478 - http://asian7750.com/cn/product_show.asp?big_pid=&ps_id=132&P_id=1114&ti=

AP064b1.jpg

$584 - http://www.timeshops.net/AP0119_-_AP_Royal_Oak_Chronograph_White_DIAL_SS_LT_-_ASIAN_7750_28800BPH_12_SEC_310017-40.htm

310017-40_sml1.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on the price difference between the first two and timeshops? I have to say I think the timeshops one does look the best but I would love to have someone who even remotely knows what they're talking about help me out!

Also I've heard that really the best way to go about a watch like this is to contact a few sellers directly, like Hont etc. as they can get a better model/better price? Any ideas on who might be good to contact for an AP and what I should ask them when I get hold of them? Also is there any room to negotiate the price if contacted directly?

Ok - i think thats all I wanted to know. Sorry for tons of questions, but its better to spend the money properly the first time than have to buy it twice.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me on these subjects!

jebus

pb144362.jpg

pb144363.jpg

pb144359.jpg

They are great watches ,but 2 things to consider; I think the first version was white dialed where as the newer versions are off white almost cream with white sub dials as per gen so be sure you get the version you want . Secondly and more importantly is the rep strap is poor, Brown is not a well copied colour when it comes to hornbacks so you might want to factor in $ for one.

ST4

If you are searching for a SAFARI you need 2 things to go for (as mentioned anbove):

1) should be creamy-off-white dial

2) you deffo need a new strap for the watch...APBands has good alternative, sometimes you find a used OEM on the Bay.

Cheers

Theo

Watch is a trusty Andrew, strap HKtan, movement working fine and Dandy now did have to send it back for a service .

I'm not sure if you can still get MBW versions I think they had much better straps.

As for Quartz versions I'm not sure I think Hackr had a couple a while back they looked alright but I think the Date and mag was a bit wimpy.

Have you seen a quartz version anywhere?

• 2 weeks later...