When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproofing Tag Link Help?

Heli0s

Just got a grey Tag Heuer Link chrono from Andrew (++good guy), resized and oiled up the bracelet, and now i'm heading off to the store for some silicon grease. Anything I should know beforehand about how the Link/chronographs in general hold up to water? I've read most of the waterproofing guides both here and on RepGeek but should I throw in any extra steps because of the chrono pushers?

I'm just looking at hand washing / showering right now but I would love to be able to swim with it as I swim almost every day. I guess the Burgeon will tell once I get it pressure tested.

It'd be nice to get some opinions from people with some personal experience with waterproofing chronos.

With chronos the chrono pushers do need special attention. One of the most common mistakes is that all the seals need grease in order to be water proof. The grease protects the rubber from dryness and cracks and that's about it. It's like shoe polish, it protects the leather. Water resistance is created by the way all the parts fit together. Here are tolerances, margins and finishing key factor. In other words. If your watch isn't water proof now, it won't be after you greased all the seals.

With chronos the chrono pushers do need special attention. One of the most common mistakes is that all the seals need grease in order to be water proof. The grease protects the rubber from dryness and cracks and that's about it. It's like shoe polish, it protects the leather. Water resistance is created by the way all the parts fit together. Here are tolerances, margins and finishing key factor. In other words. If your watch isn't water proof now, it won't be after you greased all the seals.

What 'special attention' should be supplied to the pushers?

What 'special attention' should be supplied to the pushers?

If you want to grease the pushers you have to remove them. In order to do that yo need to remove the movement first. As said before, grease is not needed to water proof a watch.

I have wore my Link chrono several time to shower and never had any issues with water,the thing is that i never greased the seals.Maybe i was lucky.

You didn't read my post. There's no luck involved. ;)