When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New AR coating - What's your opinion?

szvwj

Since Chief isn't doing another run until the fall, I started looking into other AR coating services. I found a place that was kind enough to do a sample for me (see attached images).

It's double sided AR and looks a lot like the AR on the V3 SuperAvenger. I'm not sure how it compares to Chief's (I don't have any of his crystals to use as a comparison), but it's inexpensive and fast (less than 10 days). In addition, it meets Military standards for durability so it won't scratch easily.

This particular coating is specifically made to minimize reflected light (which it does), however, the color is slightly different than the gen.

The first photo is a comparison the the V3 SA. The other pictures are compared to the Gen. The newly coated crystal is on the left in all pictures.

What do you think?

ARcomparison.jpg

IMG_5562a.jpg

IMG_5558a.jpg

IMG_5557a.jpg

IMG_5560a.jpg

To my eyes, I would have said that the V3 AR seems to make the dial 'darker' than the new AR? Probably just different dial finishes though.

Worth investigating what they can do though, thanks for taking the plunge to check them out - without people such as yourself trying things, we wouldn't find out about new stuff! :)

The cost for this particular coating (in lots of 10 crystals) is less than $20.

Before I have any more of my crystals coated, I want to investigate different color options and different fixturing options (to eliminate the masked area).

BTW, I'm not making this a business (I don't want to compete with Chief...as if I could). I just want to have some of my crystals coated.

I'm going to continue trying to find a coating that's closer to gen.

I think I figured out an inexpensive way to fixture the crystals to eliminate the masked area. I, eventually, want to have at least 3 of my crystals coated.