When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have a look at this

Finepics

Guest overboosted

I would bank on the fact that the crown on that watch didnt come on it from the factory. Can't see them putting a new crown like that on the old, old movement. He probally put on a lello crown.

I would bank on the fact that the crown on that watch didnt come on it from the factory. Can't see them putting a new crown like that on the old, old movement. He probally put on a lello crown.

I doubt it very much. Which dealer is going to go to all that trouble when they nearly all drop ship fom the wholesalers without touching them!! These are factory photos dished out to the sellers.

Michael is a member and he is a TOP NOTCH guy and a GREAT seller.

I thought I recognised the name but never realised he was a dealer until now, don't get to hear much about his dealings.

I'd be happy to bank your money on that. :) While I will sometimes adjust the lever or crown guard to give the lever a better fit, I'm not about to bother putting on a new crown. That's exactly how the watch came, water tight crown and all.

And yes, an ETA 6497-1 is an old, old movement, one that's used in many very nice authentic watches. For my personal watches, that's the movement I prefer. I don't need the Panerai styled bridges and a cosmetic swan's neck regulator, nor do I need to save a few dollars by getting the Chinese copy 6497. All three movements are actually very good and we should be happy that there are so many choices available.

BTW, the "thicker crowned" PAMs most likely came from a different manufacturer than most of the other 44 mm 6497 based Luminor PAMs. On every other PAM the backs were interchangable. These have a slightly different case and I can't put a solid back on it - the size is slightly different. I also can't move the guards around as the screw size and spacing is different.

I doubt it very much. Which dealer is going to go to all that trouble when they nearly all drop ship fom the wholesalers without touching them!! These are factory photos dished out to the sellers.

You're right, many dealers drop ship the watches without ever seeing them. You'll also see many people using the exact same photos which do probably originate from the manufacturer.

But not all dealers do that. Some will actually have the watches in hand, take their own pictures, inspect them and even put then in a Bergeon pressure tester.