When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MacBook 2009

mjmj

Last night, a full glass of wine was accidentally spilled on my macbook's keyboard. Sad to say, it doesn't work anymore.

Has anyone here experienced this and if yes, were you able to fix it?

Hey Mj, if it's a macbook pro you can buy the whole keyboard and replace ($130AUD a couple yrs ago). If only spilled on the keyboard area it shouldn't have gotten past the keyboard due to the construction.

Not sure about non-pro macbooks though, but i assume the construction _should_ be similar.

Having said that... Mine would turn on and run after similar treatment with coffee - just the keyboard didn't...

Good luck!

Hey Mj, if it's a macbook pro you can buy the whole keyboard and replace ($130AUD a couple yrs ago). If only spilled on the keyboard area it shouldn't have gotten past the keyboard due to the construction.

Not sure about non-pro macbooks though, but i assume the construction _should_ be similar.

Having said that... Mine would turn on and run after similar treatment with coffee - just the keyboard didn't...

Good luck!

Thanks MM

Its just a 13in Aluminium Macbook (pre Macbook Pro). As soon as it spilled I turned the book upside down to drain all the liquids. It turned off immediately and this morning when I tried to turn it on it tried to boot up but then died. So its not working. I am going to drop it off at the shop and see what they say.

You have to open the caseback (a lot of screws pay attention to the position of each one are not all egual), disconnect battery and check the logic board and the connection cables to evidence eventual wine debris. Try to blow warm air using a hairdrier (not to close...) . Disconnect the HD cables and check if hd is ok. Reconnect all cables, reconnect battery, put on the caseback, cross you fingers and try to turn on :)

If you need help to open mac, take a look at this video :

Removing keyboard is a little more difficult, but not impossible!

If you need help, call me :)

You have to open the caseback (a lot of screws pay attention to the position of each one are not all egual), disconnect battery and check the logic board and the connection cables to evidence eventual wine debris. Try to blow warm air using a hairdrier (not to close...) . Disconnect the HD cables and check if hd is ok. Reconnect all cables, reconnect battery, put on the caseback, cross you fingers and try to turn on :)

If you need help to open mac, take a look at this video :

Morrison, Welcome aboard! Nice of you to offer your

help here!

Enjoy and thanks for sharing...

MM

If you need help to open mac, take a look at this video : http://vimeo.com/2522394

HI Morrison

Thank you for your help and advice. If I had my lap top over the weekend I would have seen this msg but I had no lap top... and have only seen this this morning.

I have dropped it off at the local Mac Shop and that is what they intend to do. All I am hoping is that the hard disk is salvageable and that the shop will tell me that I need a new Mac book then I can go to the insurers and get them to organise a new one for me.