When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Visit To An Ad

baltic

Well seeing it is Friday afternoon (in the UK now) I decided to pop into the local Panerai AD to see if they had the new 2006 catalogue in. This place is POSH, you ring a bell to get let in and inside is a temple of calm watch heaven!

Luckily the assistant said they had a new delivery and handed me a lovely new catalogue see below propped up by me EL183 :D :

122045-21380.jpg

He said you can sell this on e-bay for £25 :blink: as the Panerai afficionadoes are fanatical!

I asked to have a look at a watch and he hands me a 111. I pleaded ignorance of the watch and he went through all its features while I mentally compared it to my rep version. My thoughts...

Well on this brief occasion I could see 'in the metal' no stand out differences to our high end reps. The case was finished to in my eyes the same standard (what else can you do to 316SS?), the dial is identical, the movement to the naked eye is spot on (admittedly the sword regulator is a tell, but how man PAM WISs are you going to meet?). The strap was good, but not £100+ for an OEM good!

All in all it was great to hold a gen and if I had £2400 spare I'd have one now, but blody hell lads do we have it good!!!

Anyhoo to the sub-title of this tale; a few doors down is a jewellers that sells Omega, Brietling, JleC etc. Not quite as posh as the first but a good quality shop. I asked an assistant to see an Omega Speedmaster professional (probably my favourite watch and the one I will get a gen of). The only one they had was a 'Moon to Mars' LE. The assistant didn't know it was an LE, didn't know how much standard one cost and after taking my address to post an Omega brochure said 'I'll find out the price and include it with the brochure, it was the QUARTZ speedmaster you wanted wasn't it!' :whistling:

Sheesh!

HAGWE

That's cute Linder!

Here's one of my little daughter a day after coming into the world! I think you can tell by the picture that she's more of a Cartier girl!!!

post-69-1158955552_thumb.jpg

Be carefull, you may regret in a few years :bounce:

My daughter, who is 15, discovered the tiffany and bags section of one of these sites recently..... :black_eye: (looook daddy...)

AD's obviouslt don't hire people on the watch knowledge..it's pretty funny when you think about it. Like a car salesman who knows nothing about cars...

You are being too slightly generous to our reps though: I know you didn't have a 111H rep w/ you, but if you did a side by side w/ a gen and the best available H series swans neck rep you would have noticed:

--general fit and finish marginally better in the gen, mostly on brushed surfaces and the crown guard

--H series guard noticeably bigger and thicker w/ the lever smack dab in the middle

--thicker crown on the gen

--gen has C3 lume on gen hands and dial

--crossbars higher on the gen's "A's"

--smalller "offcine panerai" engraving on the gen movement as well as a pretty big difference in finish (cleaner CDG, polished brass gears, better executed sunburst pattern on the winding gears, clean beveling on bridge plates, no alignment pins visible)

As you point out, one thing's for certain: $4500 more on a gen buys you the priviledge of .000001% of the Earth's population believing your watch is "real." Everyone couldn't tell the diference between a 111h and a Submariner.

The only one they had was a 'Moon to Mars' LE. The assistant didn't know it was an LE, didn't know how much standard one cost and after taking my address to post an Omega brochure said 'I'll find out the price and include it with the brochure, it was the QUARTZ speedmaster you wanted wasn't it!' :whistling:

Sheesh!

HAGWE

:blink:

What sacrilege :(