When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

dose a watch need to be serviced right away?

Some__One

Hello, i have bin here for some days now and i just want to ask if i buy a replica, do i need to send it in for service right away? how mutch dose this cost and is it posibel o do it myself with some training on some sheeeeeeep watches from lets say deal extream? :p or dose it take years of practice ?

and one more thing will a swiss movment out preforme a asian 7750 movment? will it last for 10 years longer or dose it just stay more acuret longer?

//Me

hi

i dont think that a movement need a service right away, buy it and when you know you keep it let it be serviced... i mean you ask a very noobish question so i dont think you should service your watches by your own :D haha :p

find a good watchmaker and let him do this job :) but who knows maybe you can learn it, but that something only you will know ;)

accuracy..hmm i was reading that a serviced asian 7750 is as good as a swiss one

deniz

Hello, i have bin here for some days now and i just want to ask if i buy a replica, do i need to send it in for service right away?

//Me

Hello and welcome! After your watch comes to you, wear it for 1 month or 2 ... then if you think you love it, then have it serviced. Decide to do this only after you know you love the watch. It is not very expensive to do, but this depends on where you live in the World!

I usally wait between six months and a year before I have a watch serviced.If It's running well I can wait a while. If I decide that the watch Is something I would like to keep for years to come, than I have It serviced. If I have a watch that I really dont like that much then I will probabbly sell/trade It. So far this strategy has worked out well. As far as servicing your own movements :whistling: all I can say Is "spend some time In the movement/repair area". There Is some of the very best Infomation available here that you will unlikely find anywhere else. Members like the Zigmeister and Francisco are absolutely brillant watchmakers. There are also other members that have termendous knowledge. Within a short period of time you will have the knowledge/Infomation you need to really enjoy this fantastic hobby,good luck :drinks: Mike

Of course it depends. Some of the more dicier movements do often need servicing. I certainly agree not to do anything until you decide whether the watch is a keeper. If you have spent $500 for an AP ROO and know it is a keeper than I would get it serviced. if you Have bought an inexpensive rep and are unsure leave it alone. Servicing can be expensive. A 7750 chrono is not cheap to service ($250 plus) I would guess. A simple two or three hand may be only $50. Whatever you do buy check a review before you buy it. It can save you a lot of heartache.

I wear mine for about 2-3 months then have it serviced...of course I have the means to do it myself. Prior to learning the skills involved in watch making, I had reps that I wore for 4-5 years and never had them serviced. When I did service them (after training) they were pretty bad! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Servicing a movements is not like taking a part a lawnmower or such, putting it back together and expecting it to run. The Asian movements tend to be a little finicky and have a few quarks to them, that are not typically found in the Swiss movements...not to mention the $$$ involved in purchasing equipment to do a proper service.

As other have said, do a lot of reading around here as there is a tremendous wealth of knowledge. :drinks: