When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A European vendor of Reps

Broker1981

After having spent quite some time in this forum, mainly reading other members posts as i don't have the extensive watch knowhow many members do. One thing that has struck me is the need for a vendor situated within the EU / ECC region.

I live in Norway where i run a restaurant. The restaurant business in Norway employs mainly Swedish people, and i have a few on staff. Any given week i have people going to Sweden for some reason.

We ship the most incredible things between the countries. Everything from certificates of employment to tobacco and a special type of ham that is only possible to get in Kiruna in the far north of Sweden.

We have never experienced problems with our shipping during the past 5 years. We have also shipped and received goods from several European countries such as: Germany, the UK, Poland, Denmark, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Romania, Greece, Italy, France and the Netherlands.

European and Norwegian customs are known to be fierce, but they concentrate on stopping illegal drugs. This is a good thing, and i like the work they do in that regard, although i wasn't their biggest fan after spending 5 hours in holding while they tried to figure out whether it was illegal to bring Advils (ibuprofen) to Norway.

I have noticed that the bulk of the reps (if not all) are being made in China, and that members from some European countries are having great difficulties getting watches through customs.

I have been doing purchases of different kinds from china since 2005, and i have had well over 200 packages sent to my business and me personally. I have never had anything stopped in customs.

I propose making a virtual European vendor. A vendor that imports reps and that is associated with a company/person doing modifications, and service. The vendor will offer reps wit quality assurance and control, service / repairs and modifications, and foremost insure delivery to your door.

I do realize that i don't have all the necessary knowledge to pull this off. I am a chef and not a watchmaker, but it has struck me that many of our members have more insight into watches than many ADs.

I got into replicas for the same reason that many have initially: The allure of purchasing something people will think costs 50 times more than you have paid. However. After spending time in this forum and looking at several replicas, i found myself being attracted to the craftsmanship they represent. Being a craftsman myself i have the utmost respect for these works of art and i think that i'm not alone in this.

My making such a virtual European Vendor (i use the term virtual because even though everything happens in one storefront the departments are scattered across several countries), we would be able to provide high-end reps unlike what you get from any single vendor today.

Even after having read posts in this forum for more than 18 months i am still not sure where to go to get the best modifications done to the watches to make them stand out that much more.

There are many written reviews in this forum, and the authors are clearly skilled people. Taking that skill and making it available as a part of the QA/QC with this virtual European vendor is would be a great service for the masses of people who don't posses this knowhow.

This will be no great money-maker. It comes down to covering costs, and that's about it. But it will allow us put our skills to practical use, and to feel the satisfaction that comes with knowing that you have delivered a top-range product and a piece of true craftsmanship.

Any takers? Any Ideas? Most importantly, any concerns?

This is an idea i have come up with, and there may be factors i don't know that will shut it down, but i do believe that it is an idea worth exploring.

There's really nothing to complain about other than the extra cost, but you also get pretty much what Broker described.

It takes a couple of days extra too, but the time between purchase and delivery is quality time for the nerves!

PT is what you're looking for Broker!

Edited by Furu

Isn't there already a perfectly good one situated in London... :whistling:

What's that "ham from kiruna"? Viltskav? (ok not ham, but anyway)

The ham is a specially cured ham of wild range pigs.

PT Swiss may be a perfectly good vendor, but he is far from what i am talking about.

He is running a business that is based on normal financial requirements. Basically he has to turn a profit big enough to pay his own salary and also make a profit in his company.

I am envisioning a vendor where profit takes a backseat to quality. Also he is not doing modifications such as lume.

OK,

the perfect combination of The Zigmeister and PT, a demigod.

Well, kind of.

What i am noticing is that there is a lot of competence held by members of this forum.

If we could somehow unite this competence I think the result would be astonishing.

I am picturing something like this:

1. Select watch. Watches are reviewed by the same standards as they are in this forum.

2. List possible modifications and illustrate these with pictures.

3. Service of movement as an option

4. Alternate bracelets / Straps

This link shows what happens when somebody buys a high-end rep and takes it beyond:

It might be a demigod vendor, but the resources are out there, it's just a question of uniting them.

I've also been thinking these thoughts, and it would be great. 'Wouldn't it be nice'

But the more commercialized - the more risk, i guess.

As for the Volcano AP, that is a good example of what this forum (already) is capable of. I watched those pics for approximate 20 minutes, then my eyes started to dry so i went for a glass of water, then stared a bit more. No words for the artwork of The Zigmeister and Chief, among others.

(By now I've stared at that AP for 5 minutes more)

I've also been thinking these thoughts, and it would be great. 'Wouldn't it be nice'

As for the Volcano AP, that is a good example of what this forum (already) is capable of. I watched those pics for approximate 20 minutes, then my eyes started to dry so i went for a glass of water, then stared a bit more. No words for the artwork of The Zigmeister and Chief, among others.

Well i was looking to minimize risk by importing the reps along side the "legal" goods i import from China.

I also have to say that i think it's hard, especially for somebody who's new to this forum, to find these services, or even more importantly know why we utilize these services.

Well i was looking to minimize risk by importing the reps along side the "legal" goods i import from China.

I also have to say that i think it's hard, especially for somebody who's new to this forum, to find these services, or even more importantly know why we utilize these services.

My opinion for what its worth.

With 3 boys under 5 and a wife and business to look after, I dont have the time to research and learn what a lot of guys on here have, However, I enjoy wearing nice watches.

Now after quietly surfing the forum and buying a few watches that lasted a few months at best, I for one, would welcome a "quality" service. Some of the watches I have recieved were an absoloute joke. Completely non existent qc. I am totally put of buying from a dealer. As a result I now only look at private sales on the forum but some of the horror stories of late have made me reluctant to buy here also. (No offense to the straight up members. I know there are some here!) I would welcome a quality vendor with real qc, servicing and mods included and I would be happy to pay for it.

As a side point there are not many watches I wouldnt wear. If someone were to take a punt on some popular watches a bring them up to the standards we are discussing and sell them of the shelf as opposed to providing a bespoke service that takes weeks. I am sure they would sell.

Also I am sure I am not the only one that would love to meet a vendor and be able to see some pieces first hand. I am near london. Bring some nice watches and I would definatlely find some pennies.

I have found through my experiences that when you believe in something you will make it happen. If you believe in this idea, then make it happen, (even on a small scale) and "they will come" .......well I probably will anyway!

Regards

BVC.