When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So Which Generation Po Are We On Now?

kasigi

Talking 45mm.

I actually think it's the 6th gen, but I've never heard anyone call it that yet.

4th was the version which had the incorrect logo placement.

5th was the version which I think only Neil sold with correct logo placement but still with 20mm lugs. I think this is better than the one below.

6th is the one everyone seems to have now with the correct lugs but with too large logo and other issues.

Is this right?

Die-hard PO fanatics here will tell you that most of the dealers/rep_makers are still on Gen 4 for the 42.5mm version and Gen 1 for the 45 oversized version, aka "pumpkin", and Chrono version.

Paul at Wo-Mart claims his 42.5 PO black and orange bezel versions are 5-th Gen.

4th gen version had hour and minute hands too short, and the Omega logo placement too close to the Omega name. Go figure.

Hard to say at the mo, really, noone can be 100% certain are we talking about gen 4, 5, 6 or something in between.

cheers,

babola

I think the generations diverged at one point, so the nomenclature is now irrelevant. There is a 'post 4th generation' 42.5mm which actually took things backwards a little.

The 45mm is a completely different range - arguably only on generation 2 as generation 1 is the same case and dial that has been available for a long time with Asian movements. The generation 1 45mms were the ones Neil was having custom fitted with ETAs until the factories started doing them that way. They probably had the best dial print and hand size of all the PO's, but it was a shame about the completely wrong case and ,llug size.

I'm holding off for a decent rep 22mm rubber strap to appear, then I'll be all over the current 45mm as I'll be using parts from a scrap gen 1 Asian 45 to make it closer to correct....

There have been a LOT of POs on the market. Here are my recollections. Dates are very approximate, as it's totally from memory.

Gen 1: Circa June 2005. I believe Joshua was the first dealer her with the first POs. These had a white date wheel, and very badly shaped hands, and the wrong font on the bezel insert. Flat bracelet, no planet ocean engraving on the clasp. I think the seconds hand was too short tooand the case back was wrong. Asian movements only.

Gen 2: Circa August 2005. Same as above, but with the date wheel and bezel font fixed. I think TTK managed to get some 45mms with black date wheel about this time to, and retro fitted them with ETA movements.

Gen 3: Circa Dec 2005? (just guessed this one). A leap forward. TTK was the first with these iirc. ETA movements right out of the box. These had a great dial, great hands (full length) and curved bracelet. HEV was in the correct place. They still lacked the Planet Ocean on the clasp, and i believe that they were 43mm, not 42mm. Precious Time later offered these with Planet Ocean engraved on the claps, but it was done by an engraver, after leaving the factory.

Gen 4: Circa March 2006.

42.5mm

This is when the PO scene started hotting up. There were a lot of POs cropping up.

Andrew was first here with the PO commonly refered to as 4th Gen (I bought one). ETA movement. The hands are just a little too short, but dial and bezel are great. Logo placement is hit and miss. Some people's touch the Omega writing. First one with Planet Ocean on the clasp in the correct font.

Around the same time, Joshua also had some different POs (42.5mm). The dials on these had oversized 12, 6, 9 writing, large text, and the Omega symbol was printed on. These also had a curved bracelet, and Planet Ocean on the clasp. They looked very much like the current 45mm models with the 22mm lugs.

45mm

Around this time, Andrew also got in some asian 45mm models. These had the best 45mm dial yet, with nice writing, and nice sized 12, 6, 9. I bought a black one of these on rubber. On these, the crown is short, and the HEV is bang on 10. Link to this model on Andrews site

Gen 5: Circa May/June 2005.

45mm

TTK and Paul came out with these at about the same time. Basically, these have the same case and dial as the one mentioned directly above (Andrew's asian), but with ETA movement, sapphire crystal, and the curved bracelet of the 4th gen. As they use the same case, you can get it on rubber srtap.

42.5mm

The 4th gen became the 5th gen according to Paul. They became available on leather srtap, and in the new 2006 colours (Black bezel, with orange numerals on the dial), but are otherwise the same as the 4th gen (I have one on the way)

Gen 6: August 2006 to present.

45mm

The 45mm models took another leap forward. Finally they have a correct shaped case (with correct HEV), bezel, and 22mm lugs. The bracelet also has both 'Professional' and 'Planet Ocean' engraved on it, as per genuine. The only problems with this model, as far as a i can see, are the hands (short again) and the dial. It isn't as good as the previous ones, and is more like the 42.5mm ones Joshua used to stock. The 12, 6, and 9 are once again oversized, as is the writing on the dial. Buy one of these, and use the dial (and maybe the datewheel incase they don't align) from the previous 45mm version, add some genuine hands, and you'll have the ultimate PO rep IMO.

The whole generation thing seemed to crop up when TTK's 3rd gen arrived, and i believe he called it that. After that, Andrew followed suit (4th gen) and then Paul (4th gen, and later 5th gen).

So i guess the current 45mm, is technically 6th generation, if you count the periods where significant developments in the Planet Ocean reps happened.

Edited by bigpops

Good question and very useful answers.

I am also after a 45 PO (black bezel orange numbers) and I was/am quite confused with the question of the current generation.

With the answers provided here, things are a bit clearer now.

I will hold few more months to see if a better version comes up.

Edited by AMK000